Record Depreciation ?. - rayleck
Back in July I had a test drive of the face lift Rav4.Afterwards in talks with the salesman I asked for £14500-00 for my Alfa 159 ti in part ex' which seemed to be no problem.6 weeks later (last week) I went back for serious talks about placing an order only to be told my Alfa was only now worth £12795-00.A loss of £1700-00 in six weeks?.That means in 9 months time my car will be worthless!!.Needless to say I walked away,heres me thinking we are in a recession.
Record Depreciation ?. - TheOilBurner
What price are you getting for the price guides for it?

What year, mileage engine, spec etc is it? Maybe the original valuation was a guestimate?
Looking at AutoTrader One Alfa dealer has a similair car to mine up at £18000-00 !!.
Yeah, but that's not the trade in price is it...
Yeah but that's not the trade in price is it...
True,but why the massive loss in 6 weeks and surely if similair cars are going for for 18k the part ex' i was quoted was a bit on the low side?.
Record Depreciation ?. - cjehuk
Since when has being in a recession meant everything holds its value better? Doing a deal at a loss helps nobody. Use Vauxhall's website to check out how much yours should be worth in Glass' guide. Plus it will depreciate by percentage not round £££, therefore it won't be worthless in 9 months time, but might be worth say £9k based on the current presumed depreciation rate.

All depends a bit on which model it is. If it's a 1.9TD then the mentioned loss seems more extreme than if it's a 3.2v6
When I said we are in recession I meant I thought the dealer would have tried alot harder to get my custom-toyotas sales were down 36% in the last sales quarter.Glass's say my car is worth £13555-00 in part ex'.
Record Depreciation ?. - davecuk
Dealers will often talk a bigger figure until the chips are down and they have you gagging at the bit....then comes the reduced value....common sales tactic. Even worse is the spread they want to make on a used car. Usually they want to buy at significantly below book and sell at significantly above book.

It's what makes a 1 or 2 year old used car such a poor proposition sometimes. In your case they wanted to make a cool £6200 on your car.....even if it costs them £1000 to prep it, that's still a profit of more than 40%....far too much in my opinion. All that whilst ensuring they give you as poor a deal on price for the new car as they can., because they are doing you a "big favour" for part exing you motor.

Edited by davecuk on 23/09/2009 at 19:06

Record Depreciation ?. - Altea Ego
If he could sell it and make money on it he would offer you more. Problem id that no-one wants it, and the punter that does will bring it back in 6 months with its internals in bits and demand a refund
Record Depreciation ?. - ifithelps
Few cars depreciate as much as an Alfa.

Looks like you're being offered about £800 behind book - not bad - I've known Alfas be two or three grand behind.

The recession cuts both ways, in happier times the dealer might have felt able to take a punt on your Alfa.

If it sticks a bit, so what? Other cars are selling.

If nothing much is selling, the last thing you want is something like an Alfa.

I've personally nothing against Alfas, but rightly or wrongly, the trade has always viewed them as dogs.

Record Depreciation ?. - paul2007
OP

sell the alfa before you lose more on it
Record Depreciation ?. - paul2007
OP

have you tried selling the alfa privately and buying the other car without p/x??

hat advert 'we buy...'' gives a good price - we tried our merc an Fords - prices were very good, but we are not ready
All I want is a half decent deal.The model I was after is an SUV,not the most sought after car at the moment,delivery time promised in a few weeks,not as if there was a 4 month wait due to demand.
Record Depreciation ?. - movilogo
If you want to avoid depreciation, then hold your car for few years at least ;)
Record Depreciation ?. - Alby Back
My car does not suffer depreciation at all. Which is the good bit.

It's more or less worthless. ( That's the bad bit ! )
Record Depreciation ?. - rtj70
My wife's car cannot be worth more than say £1000. In twelve months it probably isn't worth any less or more.

If it was twelve months older we might have been able to get money under scrappage. But it runs fine, has no rust, has done less than 25k miles, etc.... so that would be a waste.
Mine is regularly doing 1500 miles a week at the mo. Never been any bother and still comfy. Looks fine too. Can't see any point in changing it for one which would bleed value. It'll croak one day and I'll just buy another and in turn run it to destruction.
Record Depreciation ?. - LikedDrivingOnce
Mine is regularly doing 1500 miles a week at the mo.

[Stands back in awe] HB - are Mondeos really THAT tough? I am impressed!
Record Depreciation ?. - rtj70
I felt my Mondeo TDCi when it went back with low mileage was. I had the safety net of a lease company though. But it had less than 50k miles in four years!

Current car heading to similar miles. Unless I can wangle a cheap Audi A4 to save the company and me money... not impossible.
170k so far. Normal servicing and two light bulbs to date. Never been "off sick"
Record Depreciation ?. - bell boy
If he could sell it and make money on it he would offer you more.
Problem id that no-one wants it and the punter that does will bring it back
in 6 months with its internals in bits and demand a refund

mint and spot on

Edited by rtj70 on 23/09/2009 at 23:37

Glass's say my car is worth £13555-00 in part ex'.

Sounds like the trade-in offer was fair then. You'd only be likely to get book price at an Alfa dealer, and the Glass' data on the Vauxhall website tends to be slightly behind the true book price that the dealers use too.

It's not like the Toyota dealer will be able to put that Alfa on his forecourt, so he'll have to shift it in the trade, which won't be so easy.

You still didn't tell us what it is? Is it the 3.2 V6 by any chance?

Keep it and enjoy it! :)
The car is the 2.2 JTS TI.The toyota dealer was going to pass the car straight on to a local Alfa dealer.Why should I give the car away so an Alfer dealers - {note: now spelt correctly!} can make a 5 to 6 grand profit?.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/09/2009 at 20:18

Have you considered approaching the Alfa dealer to sell it directly to them? These days dealers can be so short of stock for the forecourt, they may actually offer a decent amount, perhaps more than the Toyota dealer will as a p/x.
Record Depreciation ?. - scott1s
Just dealers trying to make a wedge on the stuff that's selling - good used cars are at a premium.

Why are you selling it so soon? The Ti is a sought after spec. One look on Alfaowner.com stick it on there and you'll get a buyer no bother I think.

Hell, I'd have it myself if it were just a few months from now . . . . . .
Record Depreciation ?. - PR {P}
Nice to see we have the typical remarks when Alfas are mentioned.

As for the car, the 2.2 engine has recently been superceded by the new 1.75 Turbo Benzina. Maybe this had an effect on the value?
...Nice to see we have the typical remarks when Alfas are mentioned...

The motor trade is very conservative - with a small 'c'.

Alfas acquired a bad name in the trade many years ago and it would take at least a generation of brilliantly-built, long lasting, ultra-reliable cars to change that bad name.

And in any walk of life it is hard to get a good name, and much harder again to win it back if you lose it.

No I agree with that ifithelps, its more the come back in pieces in 6 month comment.
..its more the come back in pieces in 6 month comment....

And the one tends to feed of the other, so a motor trader might, with some justitifcation, say to an Alfa owner:

"I'd like to offer you more for your car, sir, but many of my other customers think Alfas are unreliable, which means if they are prepared to buy one at all, it has to be very cheap."

I wonder what the reliability/build quality is of Alfas manufactured in the last few years?
Much the same as any other make if you listen to the owners (like me ;)). Autoexpress recently stripped a 60k mile 159 down to its components and the results very favourable.
Had the car 2 years and has been as reliable as any Audi or BMW I have owned.Honestly!.