Policing Observed - Bromptonaut
The Drapery in Northampton is a main street but is buses and taxis only for most of its length, it is however a tempting shortcut. Yesterday a couple of coppers and a PCSO working together with a Council CEO were stopping every car and motorbike that passed their "base" outside Debenhams. At least one car every three or four minutes.

Each appeared to be reminded of the offence and asked to produce his documents. Those in order were on their way in two or three minutes (though possibly with a fixed penalty notice). Those missing something or who failed the attitude test got a more thorough going over. In the ten minutes or so I was watching they'd got a yoof on an untaxed motorbike, an MPV for an obstructed number plate and a van with a dodgy tyre.

Seemed far better use of police time than all those standing in the sunshine at Sixfields for the footy.

Policing Observed - Dave_TD
Similar exercise in Leicester city centre on Thursday caught over 100 motorists flouting the restrictions:

tinyurl.com/kpnsal
Policing Observed - ifithelps
I was stopped by the police when leaving the centre of Northampton late one evening.

"Do you," said the officer. "Often drive the wrong way down a one-way street - with no lights on?"

My feeble defence, which I didn't bother running, was that I had only just set out and didn't know where I was going.

Couldn't tell you to this day where I was, although I recall parking in what looked like a market square area.

Copper sent me on my way - it was probably obvious to him I'd taken no drink and I imagine he couldn't be bothered with the rest of it.

Policing Observed - Kevin
>Seemed far better use of police time than all those standing in the sunshine at Sixfields for the footy.

Policing a bus-lane is a "far better use of police time" ???

Glub help us!

Kevin...
Policing Observed - Blue {P}
I think what the OP is getting at is that the Police are using the bus lane as an excuse to stop people and then find more serious problems...

Policing Observed - martint123
I read it as a bus road, not merely a lane.
Policing Observed - tack
Unfortunately, burglars and thieves etc don't walk around with a swag bag on their back, or wear a stripey jumper and mask. These people often flout the driving law (after all, someone who will break into your house, smash you over the head and steal your family jewels isn't going to be worried about puny driving regs)

You'd be surprised at how much in the way of intelligence, or even nickings, you can get by tackling these people in one way (i.e. motoring) rather than another. It is called "pushing at the envelope" and thieves and their lawyers have pushed at the envelope for far longer than police have.

Obviously, I am not saying that those stopped were thieves etc, but chances of running into one or two in such an excercise is quite high.

Edited by tack on 21/09/2009 at 13:40