Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - Cyrill666 {P}
Hi,

I have a Citroen C4 Grand 1.8 VTR+ that's coming up to the end of it's 2 year contract and I'm looking to replace it with another. I have decided to go for a VTR+ 1.6HDi this time around in Kyanos Blue - but haven't yet decided to go EGS or not, I have read conflicting reviews across the net but find them a little difficult to relate to as I have only ever driven manual cars. Does anyone have any experience driving a Citroen EGS in general or speicifically in the C4 Grand? IF so, I'd appreciate your feedback.

I plan to test drive one on Monday before placing my order - any tips on how to get the best out of the test drive given that I've only ever driven manuals?

Thanks

:)
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - NowWheels
I have never driven one of those automated manuals, but if I was in your situation here are some of things I'd be testing:

* parking. Since you don't have a driver-operated clutch, an automatic requires a difft approach to the controls at low speed. I follow HJ's advice and use left-foot braking (see www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=15 ), but whether or not you do that, you should see whether you can find a style of low-speed control that works for you.

* Hard acceleration. When you put your foot to the floor, what happens? Are sensible gears selected, or does it over-rev the engine, which is pointless in a diesel? How do changes work under hard acceleration -- smoothly or clunky?

*Driving at a steady speed -- does it hunt between gears?

* Slow-moving or stop-start traffic. How does it cope with that?

* Manual changes. AFAIK, that sort of gearbox usually offers some means of doing manual gearchanges. How do those work for you?

* As well as trying it on the flat at difft speeds, try a few hills. How does it handle climbing a hill, and how about engine braking going down a steep hill?

Someone more knowledgeable than me may have many better suggestions, but I hope this helps.
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - gmac
I plan to test drive one on Monday before placing my order - any tips
on how to get the best out of the test drive given that I've only
ever driven manuals?

You already have the petrol engined car so the handling won't come as too much of a surprise. On a test drive I'd aim to take it around a few roundabouts or tight corners and see how you cope with how the car manages the gearchanges.

I would also try and park it in a tight space to see how you get on with the car control and as suggested by NowWheels above the left footed braking approach.

Going up through the gears I leave the car to it coming down I tend to select the gears myself with the paddles but everyone is different. With the 1.6HDi it's no road rocket but can easily cope with everyday traffic.

Reset the fuel computer and see what you average during the test drive. It's a big car (>1.5 tonnes) for a 1.6 diesel.
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - gordonbennet
Apart from trying a hill start or two (imagine heavy traffic), and really testing out tight manouevres including a kerb to bump up but slowly...i'm in awe of and agreement with NW (again).

'''mrs gb, get me an appointment at the doctors'' he pleaded..;)

Do take a nice passenger whom you would like to impress with a smooth drive, and drive swiftly keeping a beady eye on their movements, some of the gearchanges can be a little rough, also approach a roundabout/junction at normal speed then whilst still moving take off sharpish as if a space has appeared...see if the box will select the right gear for you.

Just out of interest is there not a proper auto available in this model?
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - NowWheels
'''mrs gb get me an appointment at the doctors'' he pleaded..;)

Get thee behind me, thou SUV-driving, gas-guzzling speedster with your size-fifteen carbon footprint !

(Sorry mods, this was just a public service comment to help restore GB's equilibrium)
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - gordonbennet
Good answer NW, i feel better already..;) Self help is available for owners of small holdings and fleets of pick ups.

Answer my own question here too...note to self, read the OP proper you fool.

No torque converter auto available on Picasso, though for those interested the short lived 'Lounge' model did have a lovely auto box coupled to a petrol engine.

For some reason i thought the OP was trying out a C4 car not Picasso.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/09/2009 at 19:18

Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - J500ANT
All these automated manual cars are better driven using manual control (paddleshifts) but in auto they tend to be dire. I should know, i've got a smart.
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - tack
no, no and thrice no. Mine went back 3 times for egs jerkiness. Fixed, then fault each time. In the end it just wore me down. I have the VW dsg box and it is miles better. My brother got rid of his egs Picasso too for the same reason.
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - Cyrill666 {P}
Thanks all.

Following comments made here and chatting with someone I know who has the EGS on a C4 Picasso, I think I have decided against it this time around and will stick with the manual for now.

:)
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - autumnboy
Have a look here as its mentioned here, good and bad.

c4owners.org/plugins/forum/forum_viewforum.php?29

Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - boxsterboy
The main advantage of the EGS box is that it gives better economy and emissions than a manual, and thus way better than a conventional torque converter automatic, whilst retaining the benefits of an auto box to a driver (no clutch pedal). Like any gearbox it is a compromise, but I think it is an acceptable compromise - I've just bought a 2nd hand C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDI EGS, my second EGS-equipped car.
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - Bill Payer
My FIL, an elderly but capable guy who was an electrical engineer and is also good with things mechanical, had one of these on hire in Spain for a week.
He never got used to it and said navigating sometimes steep and narrow town centre streets was a nightmare. I don't know if it was the EGS on its own, or combined with the electric handbrake which caused him difficulty, but he said it was impossible to do anything without at least half a yard of clear space to play with.
Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - cheddar
I had a C4 Picasso as a hire car for a week in the summer, 1.6 HDi, performed ok even well up in the Pyranees, 40 deg with the aircon full on, however I felt the engine was a little harsh, rumbly, certainly more so than supposedly the same engine in a C-Max I did 1500 miles in a couple of years ago. Also the manual box was quite notchy. Reassuring handling and good brakes though. Sorry cant help re EGS.

EDIT: Just seen Bill Payer's post, oh the electronic hand brake, if ever there were an example of technology over function this is it - pointless, no, non, nien, zero, zilch advantages over a lever and cables.

Edited by cheddar on 25/09/2009 at 12:34

Citroen 1.6HDi - to EGS or not to EGS? - autumnboy
I don't have any problems using my Handbrake on my C4 GP.

I use it to apply handbrake when parking and then when moving off I just engage a gear and move off. Then handbrake releases itself. Or I could park, turn off ignition and the handbrake applies itself.

When I first had the car I thought I would never get on with the electronic handbrake, but now I think its better than the conventional mechanical version.

The only thing I know with the EGS, that when in auto/semi-manual there is a lag between changing gears where the engine revs are brought up or down to match the next gear being engaged where as the old type auto just changed gear instant.