Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - SteelSpark
Hi,
I am in the process of buying a used Ford Mondeo Zetec from a franchised dealer this week (no financing, just a cash purchase). I paid the deposit today, will be paying the balance tomorrow and will be picking it up on Wednesday.

It is an 09 reg with about 5,000 on the clock. It is not a Ford Direct car but is an ex-demo car for the dealership.

This my first purchase of a car, so I just wondered if anybody had any advice for me in terms of what to expect on Monday (when I pay) and Wednesday (when I collect it), anything that I should do, and anything that I should watch out for.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - Rattle
Check for any physical damage such as scratches and make sure you get all the manuals and keys.
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - gordonbennet
I'm sure all will be well, but why are you paying on Monday and not Wednesday when you collect the car by debit card?

Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - 1066
pay on wednesday after you have inspected the car. if they wont play ball i'd refuse to pay.
they have over 10k of your money and you have no goods
I'm sure all will be well but why are you paying on Monday and not
Wednesday when you collect the car by debit card?

Hi. I'm not sure, that is just what they have asked me to do (as it is my first purchase, I'm not really sure what is usual). The salesman said that I will be paying by debit card on Monday, and that I can have the car on Wednesday. The only comparison I have is that a VW dealer told me (when I was looking at a Passat) that they would need a bank transfer to be done 24 hours before handover of the vehicle.

Is it usual that you should be able to take the car straight after a debit card payment?

Thanks for your help.
I'm probably overly concerned, and i believe that if you've paid for the car outright it becomes your property..but in that case why can't you have the car once you've paid, and is it a case of possession being 9/10ths of the law, i don't know but hopefully you'll have chapter and verse soon in this thread, which will be of interest to many i'd wager.

I've been in the horrible situation of collecting truckloads of cars from failed dealerships before, seeing an ordinary chap, just like any of us in tears as he's lost a large amount of money he paid to the dealer only a day or two before is not something i want to repeat.

Debit card doesn't have the same protections as a credit card, i would want to receive my goods once i've paid for them, not when it suits the dealer.

edit...i think BCC is a different scene re the VW dealer.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/09/2009 at 15:17

Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - NowWheels
I'm probably overly concerned and i believe that if you've paid for the car outright
it becomes your property

I'm not sure of the legalities, but until it's been handed over you may just be an unsecured creditor.
I'm not sure of the legalities but until it's been handed over you may just
be an unsecured creditor.

I'm inclined to think the same, no doubt it would cost an arm and a leg to sort it anyway.
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - bell boy
its only a franchise you say
why would you pay and then come back in two days time
if they go bust you will be just another creditor
dont do it
pay for the car ,take the car
its the only sensible thing to do
gb me too seen dealers go in an afternoon all the cars vanished
gb me too seen dealers go in an afternoon all the cars vanished

Something very wrong with the whole situation BB, sales staff taking huge deposits and payments in cash on Monday and the place goes boom on Tuesday... i don't like it and it makes one feel like putting a few lights out.

99.9% SS's situation is fine, but that .1% still worries me.
just remembered i had a customer give me a deposit this week and they were concerned i was going to live in perpetual luxury on it and close my business
they were consoled with the words that i wasnt here today gone tommorrow but that i was here today gone at 5.30pm
Thanks for all of the advice so far.

I am certainly inclined to make sure that I pay when I actually take the car, having read all of your comments.

I think I am right in saying that a debit card payment does not need to clear, so there is no need for a clearance waiting period.

Is there any other reason (apart from getting the money ASAP) that there would be a delay? Is there any paperwork that might be done on Monday that would actually give me legal ownership, even if I didn't take possession? Might they put my name in the log book on Monday, so that I would be the registered owner?
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - paul2007
pay at least 1k via credit card, thev you are protected for the whole lot should the dealer go under i believe.

'demo car' are usually loaned as well and thrashed
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - jc2
A debit payment is taken from your account immediately;BTW a "Visa" debit has the same protection as one of their credit cards.I paid for my last car with both a credit and a debit card(some on each) and took the car away there & then.
BTW a "Visa" debit has the same
protection as one of their credit cards.

Thats interesting, i wasn't aware of that.
Thanks again for all of this advice.

I decided to call another dealership in my area that is part of the same "chain", and ask them, if I paid a deposit on a specific car listed on their website, how long it would take to collect it and how long in advance of the collection I would have to pay. I wanted to do this to see what the policy of the chain was, in case there is some valid reason for the gap.

I was told that if I paid a deposit on Monday I could collect the car on Friday, and I could pay the balance on the day of collection (I explained that I would be paying on debit card).

Taking this, and all of your advice, into account, I will be telling the dealer that I am only going to pay when I collect it.

It is a bit annoying that they have asked me to pay in advance, especially as they know I would need to take time off work on both Monday and Wednesday (rather than just Wednesday).

I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt in case it was standard industry policy and/or they were somehow exposed if they let me take the car straight after paying, but it seems that neither of things explanations applies.

From their point of view the worst that could happen is that they do any cleaning or other work they need to do, and then I pull out of the sale (which I have no intention of doing) - but then they do have my £250 deposit to cover any preparation costs.

Annoyance aside, I'm not happy to expose myself to £13,000 of risk in the unlikely case that they did go bust, just so that they get my money 2 days early.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - ifithelps
... I'm not happy to expose myself to £13,000 of risk in the unlikely case that they did go bust, just so that they get my money 2 days early...

Exactly.

And if the garage moan, that is what you must tell them, in the nicest possible way.

The instant your debit card payment goes through, they have your money and they should be prepared to release the goods.

My last two new Fords - one earlier this year - were bought in this way.

Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - Manatee
All good advice here. I have bought our last three cars with a few £00 credit card deposit, paid in advance, and debit card payment of the balance on collection.

In theory, if you have an invoice and you've paid, it'll be your car even if they go bust before you collect - but it might already have disappeared on a transporter and you could have a fight with the administrator/receiver.

The other reason for paying on collection is in case you find a defect when you go to collect it. You are in a much better position to refuse it, or get the solution you want, while you still have your money.

Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - paul2007
BTW a "Visa" debit has the same
>> protection as one of their credit cards.
Thats interesting i wasn't aware of that.

ot always so visa cc first 1000
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - loskie
Drove a brand new Volvo out the dealers on 25 July a half hour after paying the balance of 14500 by Visa Debit. This was a Saturday morning done with chip n pin not even a security phonecall was required.
Don't pay 'till on the day!
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - J1mbo
Make sure you test drive it before paying the balance!
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - barney100
Before you part with the balance thoroughly check the car over. There may be something you missed before and once the cash is handed over it can be difficult to get things sorted.
Thanks for all of this advice, it has been very helpful.

I called the dealer this morning and spoke to the sales manager (sales guy hadn't arrived). I explained that I would be paying on collection and there was no fuss whatsoever (I thought he might try to say it was their policy, industry standard etc)

I guess I'll just put it down to an enthusiastic sales guy who wanted to finalise the deal ASAP.

So thanks for all the advice about the payment, and I will also be doing all of the check that have been suggested above, so thanks for them too.

All the best.
Don't forget to come back and tell us all about your new motor in due course.
Don't forget to come back and tell us all about your new motor in due
course.

Will do...when I finally get it :(

I called the dealer today to check that it was going to be ready, and was told that I hadn't done the necessary paperwork.

They are now asking me to go in, sign for the car and do various other paperwork, then go away and go back later in the day, when they have processed the paperwork, and then pay and pick up the car.

No problem I guess because at least I am not handing the cash over until I get the car, but there still seems to be this gap between me committing to the sale and them committing to the condition of the car (e.g. if I sign for it at 10am, and then they prang it at 11am - how easily can I walk away from the sale).

I'm not too concerned as this seems to be a reputable dealer, but would be far less confident with a less reputable one (which I guess is why people are prepared to pay more at franchised dealers).

Anyway, I almost have my hands on the car and will definitely pop back to let you all know about it.
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - audiA6tdi
thats a pretty good price for that car, did you haggle on it or was that the advertised price?

Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - NowWheels
There's something odd here. "Processing the paperwork" shouldn't take long, unless you are taking out a loan.
Buying a car this week, any advice appreciated - audiA6tdi
paperwork should take 5 - 10 mins on a new car.
paperwork should take 5 - 10 mins on a new car.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have created a new thread here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=78...4

because this one is quite long and I wanted to raise this specific issue, since you guys have suggested something is strange (not sure if that is the done thing on this forum, so sorry if it isn't).

BTW it is a used car not sure if that makes much difference.

Thanks again for all your help.