Temporary speed limits - J Bonington Jagworth
We have a music festival up the road (Isle of Wight Bestival) and lots of 30 limit signs have appeared at the side of roads leading up to the site. Mostly, the traffic is such that they are unlikely to be going that fast in the first place, but one road is normally NSL and has a couple of these signs (which are at ground level, on metal frames like temporary roadworks signs) behind which the police have been hiding with their speed guns. Aside from the question of what they might be better employed doing next to a large campsite where all sorts of minor crimes will be taking place, my question is how enforceable are such limits? Don't real speed limits have to be in planned locations, to an approved pattern, etc? There are no streetlights on the road in question and, AFAIK, no repeaters either.
Temporary speed limits - Westpig
your Local Authority might well have dictated a Traffic Order.

All the planning for the festival would have been conducted with representatives from the council, police, fire, ambulance etc.....and to put out loads of no parking cones or re-route some roads, would take a Traffic Order....so I see no reason why a speed restriction couldn't have been included
Temporary speed limits - Dwight Van Driver
Your not reading your local paper JB - Public Notices

TRO would have been advertised.......a condition required.

dvd
Temporary speed limits - J Bonington Jagworth
Thanks for that. No doubt there's a notice in 6pt Times on p.94, but I was more concerned with their placement at road level (half-way in the hedge in some cases) and the fact that they are not to the standard design (diagram 670 in the regs) with a red ring around them. I'm all in favour of advisory limits encouraging people to drive carefully, but to put up inadequate temporary signs and then nail people for not seeing them strikes me as unfair, and in PR terms, inept.