Help wanted! Low mileage v full service history - sunlight
Hi there, first-time poster here, hope someone can help.

I'm choosing between two Mondeo's both around £2,500. One is a 2001 plate, with v low mileage - 31,000 on the clock. It has no service history but the last 3 MOTs from 2006 onwards, showing miles circa 16,000, 18,000 (it was retested for resale, at Evans Halshaw - reputable I would think?) then again at 28,000 at Benfield Motors. It then had a final MOT when the current dealer got hold of it.

The other has FULL service history, but has done 59,000.

The former dealer has offered me a 12 month warranty to help allay my fears.

Anyone any ideas? Does service history always trump mileage?
Help wanted! Low mileage v full service history - bell boy
sunlight
take your head out of the clouds
who would own a mondeo for 5 years and only do 31,000 miles apart from a vicar with a very small eclastial following
why not speak to the previous owner listed in the log book ?a mr hert rental on all probabilities
you english are mileage mad, no wonder this country is in such a state,look out of the box,look out of the window,the worlds bigger than two low mileage blog mobiles
Help wanted! Low mileage v full service history - smilleynially
Avoid the 'low' mileage one at all costs. A well looked after Mondeo can take the miles, I have one!

Firstly, check the small print of any warranty offered. Probably doesn't cover a lot of things you might think it does.

At this kinda money you're better off buying privately. There are a lot of Mondeos out there.

Good luck!
Help wanted! Low mileage v full service history - sunlight
Thanks to you both for your speedy replies, they were really helpful and have confirmed what I feared! A real coffee-smelling moment that!

Sadly I've already put a £50 deposit down on the 'low' mileage one but I'll happily let that go if it saves me £££ in bills...
Help wanted! Low mileage v full service history - harry hotfoot
Just my 2p worth, even tho' you've already had some good replies.

I was recently in a simillar position, I too paid a £50 depost - then had my doubts (you'll find my posts to the furum if you can be bothered to look). I decided to walk away, and lost my £50.

A full service history is what you want. Missing the first 4-5 years, the car could have gone round the clock (twice!). Our car has done ~74k, but could easily pass for a 20k-er. If you don't have a good full history, you don't know what you're getting.

"Buy now, worry later"
"Buyer beware"
etc.

Harry
Help wanted! Low mileage v full service history - Statistical outlier
59k is nothing, it wil do 3 times that.

FSH is everything.

Buy the FSH car. Every time.
Help wanted! Low mileage v full service history - Downesi1
I regularly sell Late Mondeo's with 130k + they drive just as well as a 80k motor.
Personally I'd go with newer car and higher mileage. Just make sure its in good condition as this tends to reflect how the car has been treated.