87 2.0 Jumping out of 5th gear... - Gregory II
Hi
My cousin is thinking of giving me a Toyota Camry 2.0 petrol 1987 with MOT etc. He is retiring from driving.

It jumps out of 5th gear. Can anyone advice how easy this is to repair? I looked in the haynes manual, and looks like the cable needs changing, but I cannot be sure.

Can ayone advise me on this one? The car is great, it runs really well and it would be a great shame to scrap it.

With thanks
Greg
87 2.0 Jumping out of 5th gear... - bell boy
we used to use a big rubber band on the old D series to stop it coming out of 4th gear
suggest its probably an internal gearbox problem
87 2.0 Jumping out of 5th gear... - Gregory II
I heard it is possible to just change the link. Is this not true?

If it is an internal problem, it would be probably prohibatably too expensive to repair. A new gearbox is probably the single best option: this is probably an engine out job presumably?
87 2.0 Jumping out of 5th gear... - Dave_TD
I had a 95 Carina E with exactly this problem, and used bellboy's solution until the back pressure against the gear lever became too much!

It's a new gearbox job I'm afraid, it should be possible to change it with the engine in situ but you would need a decent sized work area, room to lift the front of the car up pretty high and a beam of wood resting on folded blankets on the wings to tie the engine to for support.
1991 2.0 Jumping out of 5th gear... - Gregory II
With this problem, I have heard that there could be bushes in the linkage that could be worn, and hence causes this problem. Could this be the cause: I used the car yesterday, and the gear stays in if you force it in. Otherwise, it will jump out, but only upon acceleration.

Thanks
Greg
"With this problem, I have heard that there could be bushes in the linkage that could be worn, and hence causes this problem. Could this be the cause: I used the car yesterday, and the gear stays in if you force it in. Otherwise, it will jump out, but only upon acceleration."

How likely based on this could it just simply be the selector fork?
1991 2.0 Jumping out of 5th gear... - madf
As you can buy an immaculate Camry, fsh, under 100k miles.. for under £1500.. any repairs are uneconomic...

Buy a good one, needing tyres, swap over and scrap the donor.
I have heard of Bexhill gearboxes who are supposed to be very good. Their website is bexhillgearboxes.com/.

I can buy a new gearbox and install it myself as I am studying at a local college. They have all the facilities there.

Can anyone recommend other gearbox refurbishers? Also, would a toyota carina e gearbox fit into this car?

Thanks
Greg
1991 2.0 Jumping out of 5th gear... - Dave_TD
Re my earlier post about my Carina E with the same problem..

First of all it would "pop" out of 5th gear maybe once or twice in a 100-mile motorway journey. Within 1000 miles it progressed to jumping from 5th into neutral every time I pressed the accelerator but would stay engaged at steady speed and on the overrun.

After another 1000 miles it would jump out of 5th immediately upon engagement, this was when I stretched the bungee strap around the centre console and used to hook it over the gear lever at 50-60mph to keep it in 5th - I had it down to quite a fine art fairly quickly!

The next stage was when the lever would be "forced" out of gear under hard acceleration - the bungee would not be strong enough to hold it in which made for some almighty graunching noises. Following in fairly short order was the stage where no amount of bungee-strength or holding the gear lever with my arm locked straight would keep 5th engaged.

After another couple of thousand miles of not going above 4th gear I sold the car on eBay.

In my book, the next best option in your case would be to find a matching gearbox in a scrapyard, as even a refurbished unit wouldn't really make financial sense. Not sure about the compatibility between Camry and Carina E, sorry.

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 25/11/2009 at 17:14