Merc 300d - andymc {P}
I've just spotted a Merc 300d on the list at one of the nearer auctions, and I have a reason for being interested in this particular model. However, I know pretty much nothing of Mercedes cars, or of cars from this particular time (registered 1987) and I couldn't find the 300d listed in the car-by-car breakdown on this site. Perhaps it's a variant of another type of Merc - if so, could someone tell me which one to look under?
Otherwise, the only other information I have is that it's carrying 296000 miles - probably means it's less likely to have been clocked!
My reason for being interested in this car is that I'm thinking of trying out a bit of a project. I already use biodiesel in my existing cars, but I've read many times that the 300d is particularly suitable for converting to run on straight vegetable oil. (Anyone unfamiliar with this idea can check out the biodiesel forum at biodiesel.infopop.net before trying to have me committed.)
I guess that I'll be taking the attitude that this would be a hobby car, not for daily commuting (at least initially), and that it could be used to experiment on. However, while I wouldn't mind the idea of the experiment not working and returning the car to previous setup, I wouldn't want to buy the car to find that while the engine was okay, the suspension and, oh, I don't know, something else expensive, would need to be sorted at double the cost of the car. So if I decide to go ahead with this, what should I be particularly looking out for (especially in terms of "walk away now"), and how much is this car worth if it's in reasonable nick?
Merc 300d - Cardew
I bought one new in 1984 in Germany. It didn't have turbo and was an automatic. It was the slowest accelerating car I have ever owned with the possible exception of an old Beetle.

The fuel consumption was dismal for a diesel- less than 30mpg; no doubt because my right foot was normally on the floorboard.

They were very popular as taxis in Germany and I recall a taxi driver telling me that his had done over a Million Kms(625K miles) and this was not unusual.

Built like a tank and drove like one.

C

Merc 300d - andymc {P}
Build quality in this particular instance is more important than fuel economy, as much of the time a veg-oil fuelled car is fuelled for free by the waste cooking oil out of your local take-away. Pity about the slowness, but I guess I shouldn't really expect any different from a 15-year old diesel car of that size. Sounds encouraging so far - any other contributions still welcome! Especially regarding appropriate price.
Merc 300d - andymc {P}
By the way, the link to the auction site with photo of the car is
www.carryduffauctions.co.uk/detail2.asp?id=15469&s...s
Merc 300d - Ian (Cape Town)
andy,
Take the Merc round the chip shop when you go and ask for old oil - otherwise they may think you are a health inspector! (not kidding)
Merc 300d - Godfrey H {P}
Don't forget to send your regular cheque to Customs and Excise!
Merc 300d - Ian (Cape Town)
hehe - and wrap a nice piece of cod up with it...
No thet just want the dosh. Mind you the scarcity of Cod these days it may be worth more than the duty!
Merc 300d - andymc {P}
Heehee - yeah, one of the reasons I like this idea is the prospect of filling up in the supermarket car park with a bottle of cooking oil, and watching the looks of the other shoppers after I jump in a drive off.

Godfrey, I know about the tax situation - the way they figure it is that once veg-oil is "set aside" for use as fuel, that's when duty becomes payable on it. Even if the oil is acquired free of charge! At least now the duty is only 28p a litre, down from 48p since July.
Whatever you do don't upset Customs and Excise they have draconian powers. Still if they are busy looking into fishy chip oil duty perhaps they will give the punters at Calais coming back with legitimate VAT paid goods a break. Heehee!
Merc 300d - andymc {P}
Yeah, my biodiesel supplier had to register with C&E as a fuel producer, and he has told me they can be very tight - he does things absolutely straight down the line with no messing about, as it wouldn't be worth the risk. Round where I live (in the wilds of Co. Antrim) using agricultural diesel in cars is rife, and fuel smuggling is done on a massive scale. Most recent estimates are that 50% of all fuel sold in Northern Ireland is illegal, i.e. either agricultural diesel which may or may not have been treated to remove the dye, or petrol or diesel smuggled up from the south. Of course, anyone who uses the former is setting themselves up for a major engine rebuild in a few years anyway - the method for removing the red dye involves putting (sulphuric?) acid through the fuel, which is not exactly friendly to any metal components.
I suppose if I chose to risk it, getting dipped on veg-oil wouldn't be a problem for me because there's no real way for a C&E on-the-spot tester to distinguish between biodiesel (for which I always carry my most recent receipt showing where and when I bought it) and veg-oil. But I'd rather do it the right way round - after all, the cost is still only 28p a litre and I don't like it when people evade their road-tax, so why should I have double standards about paying the fuel tax - even if I do think it's a nonsense.
In any case, I'm starting to lean away from the idea of this particular car at the minute - I've seen another on Autotrader for £995 which is an automatic and a year younger with half the mileage, and there are a few more like that knocking about. I might just try the bangernomics idea for a little while to see how it goes. Should be good for a laugh if nothing else!