03 2.0 Odometer illuminated when ignition is off - L'escargot
For the last week the odometer rectangle of the instument cluster of my 03/03 2.0 Focus Ghia has been illuminated when the ignition is off. No figures are showing and the level of illumination is low. At the moment I'm not going to have it repaired because of the estimated £200 cost. What's the worst that could happen by not having it repaired? The function when the ignition is on is normal, and nothing else is (visibly) affected.
03 2.0 Odometer illuminated when ignition is off - Armitage Shanks {p}
An earlier query along these lines, which I started on behalf of a work colleague, pointed in the direction of a connector/plug on the gearbox. This was actually related to a malfunction of the whole instrument cluster (Rpm/Speedo etc) and might be worth investigating although it may not be relevant to what you describe. Hope this helps
03 2.0 Odometer illuminated when ignition is off - Spospe
I have a Transit based motorcaravan and it is normal for the odometer section to stay lit for 10 minutes after switching off the ignition. During this lit time the odometer displays the normal and trip mileage. Is it possible that the car has always done this and you have not noticed previously?

My 'van is a MK7 with the 140 bhp diesel engine
I have a Transit based motorcaravan and it is normal for the odometer section to
stay lit for 10 minutes after switching off the ignition. During this lit time the
odometer displays the normal and trip mileage. Is it possible that the car has always
done this and you have not noticed previously?

Nope. It stays lit all the time the ignition is off, which is sometimes 24 hours or more, and doesn't show any figures. It flickers slightly if that's of any consequence. I'm assuming that the worst that could happen is the eventual failure of some of the functions of the instrument cluster. If and when that happens I'll have it repaired. I imagine the current consumption is insufficient to flatten the battery.

Edited by L'escargot on 09/09/2009 at 10:27

03 2.0 Odometer illuminated when ignition is off - SpamCan61 {P}
I would think that it will faltten the battery if left for weeks on end, but unless this flickering is symptomatic of a much scarier underlying problem ( unlikely) I'd be tempted to live with it.
03 2.0 Odometer illuminated when ignition is off - MikeTorque
It's worth checking the voltage is ok. Call up diagnostics (via Menu stalk) and check what voltage is recording whilst the engine is running, should be around 14.4 v running, and around 12.6 when the car has been standing for a while.
It's worth checking the voltage is ok. Call up diagnostics (via Menu stalk) ............

Thanks Mike, but could you be more specific as to how I do this?
To call up the diagnostics parameters, press & hold in the left stalk Menu button and then turn on the ignition key to position I (don't start the car), when the cockpit lights come on wait 2 seconds and then press the Menu button again, you should now have access to the diagnostics parameters, the first is a gauge sweep, you can scroll through the diagnostics by repeatably pressing the Menu button, voltage is one of the parameters. To exit diagnostics either hold in the Menu button or turn off the ignition.

You can also start the engine whilst in diagnostics mode and monitor any of the parameters dynamically, preferably not whilst driving the car for safety reasons.

Edited by MikeTorque on 10/09/2009 at 23:46

.......... press & hold in the left stalk Menu button
and then turn on the ignition key to position I (don't start the car) when
the cockpit lights come on ...............

I did that and nothing happened ~ no lights came on. I actually held the button in for a good minute so I wasn't hasty. What does the fact that no lights came on indicate? Incidentally, if it had have worked where would the information have been displayed?
...sorry typo, turn to position II whilst holding in the Menu button. (position II will normally turn on the cockpit display lights, an additional turn is required to start the engine).

Just to check, does your car have the trip computer ?
The diagnostics parameters are shown in the trip computer display.
Just to check does your car have the trip computer ?

Yes
The diagnostics parameters are shown in the trip computer display.

Thanks. I'll try it again.