More parking charges/cameras... - FotheringtonThomas
I drove (forwards) into a car park near a tourist attraction. The pay & display machine referred to two times, i.e. "£3.5 to park for over 4 hours before 6 p.m." and "£2 to park after 6 p.m.".

Well, I didn't understand that - if I parked at 4 p.m., and wanted to stay for over 4 hours, should I pay £3.5 and than come back at 6 to pay £2 more, or what?? So, I pondered this, and went in search of an attendant. No-one to be found. This took perhaps 10 minutes. Still no idea of what to pay.

*Then* I noticed the CCTV camera recording number plates, and the "Off-site monitoring" notice.... I decided to park elsewhere, so carefully *reversed* out of the car park.

This'll be interesting. Will the approx. 15 minute stay count as "parking"? What will the parking monitors make of two "going in" shots of the car and none "going out"?

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 04/09/2009 at 13:18

More parking charges/cameras... - Lou_O
Will it matter if it does?

If it's not council you've no obligation to pay.
More parking charges/cameras... - FotheringtonThomas
If it's not council you've no obligation to pay.

This is not true. You could indeed have to pay, depending on circumstances.
More parking charges/cameras... - Armitage Shanks {p}
If it is issued by the police, a local council or a parking attendant it is probably legal and enforceable. See the sticky re unauthorised and illegal parking "tickets/charges" - many of them are not.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 04/09/2009 at 15:04

More parking charges/cameras... - maz64
Well I didn't understand that - if I parked at 4 p.m. and wanted to
stay for over 4 hours should I pay £3.5 and than come back at 6
to pay £2 more or what??

See what you mean, but I think they just expect £3.50. It'll be interesting to see if there's a follow-up.
More parking charges/cameras... - pmh3
Did it list the charges for short term parking? That would then raise even further possible interpretations and total charges.

FT I posted a reply to you at the end of IHaQ 308 re RCDs did you read? The thread was locked immediately afterwards!