05 2.2 rear diff noises when on full lock - chapscrap
Has anyone had experience of this, and if so does changing the oil work as a permanent fix.
To be honest we've had so many problems with this car, bought new in 2005 (2.2 deisel executive 41K now) that I'm tempted to get rid and go back to BMW, although financially it's not a good time for us.
For interest, it does about 40mpg, more on a run, and fuel consumption got worse when the egr valve was changed.
I've done an additional oil change between annual services, as it does a lot of short runs. Handling was improved when I had 235/60-16 fitted all round, as was noise in the cabin and grip particularly in the wet-recommended.
Hope I get some advice
regards to all
CCC

Edited by Pugugly on 10/09/2009 at 22:47

05 2.2 rear diff noises when on full locK - Manatee
Surprised there's been no reply to this, it's a common but non-serious problem. It's caused by water getting into the case via the breather. The cure is in a TSB and in short is to run the car in gear with the handbrake partially engaged, change the oil, repeat, change the oil again.

Honda dealers are very familiar with this. Mine was done 20,000 miles ago at about 50,000 and has been fine since.

40mpg is about what I get - trying really hard I can see 46 or so. I don't think this changed when the EGR was done.
05 2.2 rear diff noises when on full locK - Xena
This is a well known and easily fixed problem. The oil in the 4WD rear differential is flushed and replaced with Honda Dual Pump 2 fluid which is the latest spec lubricant. It's less hygroscopic and has a longer service life compared with the original factory fill lubricant. We've had no problem with our vehicle following the fluid change which was carried out under warranty. With regard to fuel consumption - I consider myself lucky if I get more than 36mpg.
05 2.2 rear diff noises when on full locK - bell boy
yes a well known problem
it was on the news at 6 tonight
i was rivveted
;-)