Insurance Dilemma - Informing Insurer of Points - charlie the dog
My wife's insurance is due for renewal and when she checked the form she realised that she hadn't informed them of the 3 speed camera points that I had picked up. Unfortunately she had been at fault in a rear end shunt this year (after I got the points) which apparently has already cost over £4000 with a personal injury claim still in progress. What should we do? Should we write to the company and explain that it is a genuine error on our part? how likely are they to deline the claim?

Advice please. the worry is making my wife ill and we can't think of anyone other than Honets John to ask for advice (emailled him already).

Edited by rtj70 on 03/09/2009 at 10:49

INSURANCE DILEMMA - Nsar
I don't see the problem. Call and explain the genuine error, I don't think it will affect the claim or the renewal.
INSURANCE DILEMMA - jc2
You're going to have to tell them at some point!
INSURANCE DILEMMA - CGNorwich
how likely are they to decline the claim?

Highly unlikely I would think. They might adjust your premium although if that's the only conviction it quite likely that it would have been ignored anyway for premium calculation purposes. Get on phone now and tell them and your wife can stop worrying.
INSURANCE DILEMMA - SlidingPillar
And it may not make any difference to the amount of money charged either. I'm contemplating adding my brother as a named driver, and the fact he has a SP30 (speeding ticket - 3 points) makes no difference to the cost. My broker checked for me a fortnight ago. Insurer NFU.

As others say, phone, and if your broker is good with emails (mine is), one of those should count as putting it in writing
INSURANCE DILEMMA - bintang
If you don't come clean with an iinsurer, thereby giving them a possible payment letout, the consequences for you could be apalling. Imagine, for example, that there is an serious injury claim against you, with millions of pounds' comepensation at stake. A doctine applying to all insurance contracts is one of "uberimmae fidei" - "of the utmost good faith".
INSURANCE DILEMMA - Bill Payer
Many people only advise of changes at renewal and it's not as though the driver with the points had the accident, so the insurers risk was unaffected.

As others have said, insurers attitude to points varies - on Liverpool Victoria's older policies they don't even require to be told, they only want to know if a single offence resulted in a ban.
INSURANCE DILEMMA - paulvm
Charlie, do not fret but do tell them as soon as possible. Exactly the same thing happened to me. I got 3 points whilst driving my car and I am named driver on my wife's policy. I told both insurers of the 3 points and they both said thank you very much, and no change to premium. (Although I guess it might come renewal time). At least I have told them and then there can be no come back.
INSURANCE DILEMMA - Nsar
Could you let us know the outcome?
INSURANCE DILEMMA - nick
An SP30 should have no effect on your premium if it's the only one. If you don't tell them and they find out it gives them an excuse to refuse the claim. Unlikely but possible.
Insurance Dilemma - Informing Insurer of Points - Mapmaker
Currently you are in the position of having a claim against you to the tune of £4,000 plus a potential personal injury claim; let's say between 2k and 10k (I'm assuming it's whiplash...)

Just think. Tomorrow one of you could drive into two brand new Ferraris. That would cost you half a million. Tell them asap, your current exposure is unfortunate but not life-altering.

The reality is that they almost certainly won't worry about the current claim.