02 2.0 Cutting out at speed - loss of power - tom8870
Hi

I have a 52 plate 2.0 TDCI diesel with 128k miles . The problem happened last week when the car cut out at 50/60mph out on a steep hill. Lucky noone was behind me. The car restarted. After it happened a second time - i took it to my local independent garage and the codes are P1211 and PO251. The fault seems to happen when i rev the car to say pick up speed after a roundabout. I drove 60 miles the other day at appox 30 to 50mph range and had no problems at all

The garage checked the injectors which they say are ok. They also took out the fuel filter and they say that it is also ok. They were at a loss as to what to do next so based on the forums i suggested that they change the crank shaft sensor. The cam sensor was changed about 6 months ago.

The crankshaft sensor was changed today. So there is some improvement. As i reve the car from say 20mph to 60mph on the road to replicate say overtake someone the car is fine till appox 2500 revs and 65 mph when i notice a slight loss of power and the glow light starts flashing. prior to crankshaft sensor change the car would just cut out at the 60mph.

So I am looking for any helpful pointers as to what i can suggest to the garage as possible next steps.

thanks in advance Tom

02 2.0 Cutting out at speed - loss of power - MikeTorque
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.63/2002
Car and Light/Medium Commercial 31.10.2002
Section: 303 - 04

Model: Mondeo 2001 with 2.0L DuraTorq-TDCi engine built from 10.2001 (build code 1K), Focus with 1.8L DuraTorq-TDCi engine built from 05.2001 (build code 1B)

Markets: All

Subject: Engine running erratically or does not start

Summary

[B]Should a customer express concern that the engine is running erratically or does not start, a common cause is that the fuel pump is unable to deliver the required fuel rail pressure due to wear of the cam, rollers and shoes. The damage is caused by insufficient bedding of the rollers during early life. This also creates metallic particles which can enter the high pressure fuel system and lead to injector failure. To rectify this concern, a revised fuel pump, new injectors and associated parts should be installed.

If this concern is present, it will generally be indicated by a flashing glow plug indicator showing that a fault has been detected.

This bulletin supersedes TSB 63/2002 dated 08.08.2002, which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page). Additions have been made to the Parts Required and Labour Times. The Service Instruction has been ammended.[/B]

Note:
If this concern is present, it will generally be indicated by a flashing glow plug indicator showing that a fault has been detected.

1. Interrogate the on board diagnostics system using WDS and record the DTCs.

2. Check for the following DTCs:
P0190, P0191, P0251, P1211, P2288, P2291
l If one or more are present, go to the next step.

3. Remove the fuel filter. For additional information, refer to Mondeo 2001 or Focus Workshop Manual Section 310 - 01.

CAUTION:
Make sure the blanking plugs stay in place.

4. Shake the fuel filter vigorously to dislodge any particles which may be stuck to the fuel filter wall.

µ 5. Remove the water drain plug and drain the contents of the fuel filter into a transparent container.

µ 6. If there are particles in the container, place a magnet underneath and sweep the base to collect any magnetic particles.
Measure the approximate diameter of the collected magnetic deposit.

Note:
If cam roller and/or shoe wear has taken place, the deposit will mainly be black with some dispersed silver coloured particles sometimes included.

Note:
If the collected deposit is 10 mm diameter or less, this TSB does not apply and further investigation is required to resolve the initial concern. For additional information, refer to the relevant Workshop Service Manual Section 303 - 00.

Note:
If the collected deposit is 10 mm diameter or more, it is likely that damage to the cam rollers and/or shoes has taken place.

7. Remove and discard the old fuel filter and low-pressure fuel lines from the fuel filter to the fuel pump.

8. Remove the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to Mondeo 2001 or Focus Workshop Manual Section 310 - 01.

9. Using clean fuel, flush the fuel tank through to clean out any collected particles.

CAUTION:
Take care not to damage the connector to prevent possible air ingress on reassembly.

µ 10. Using a compressed air line, blow the low-pressure fuel lines to the fuel tank through from the engine end (reverse direction to normal fuel flow) to clean out any collected particles.

11. Install the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to Mondeo 2001 or Focus Workshop Manual Section 310 - 01.

12. Install the new fuel filter and low-pressure fuel lines (see Parts Required). For additional information, refer to Mondeo 2001 or Focus Workshop Manual Section 310 - 01.

13. Connect WDS to the data link connector and establish communication with the vehicle.
l Check the fuel rail pressure and temperature.
FRP - Fuel rail pressure
EFTA - Fuel rail temperature

Note:
Install new high-pressure fuel supply lines (see Parts Required).

14. Install new fuel injection supply manifold (see Parts Required). For additional information, refer to Mondeo 2001 Workshop Manual Section 303 - 04E or Focus Workshop Manual Section 303 - 04F.

15. Install new fuel injectors (see Parts Required). For additional information, refer to Mondeo 2001 Workshop Manual Section 303 - 04E or Focus Workshop Manual Section 303 - 04F.
02 2.0 Cutting out at speed - loss of power - taffycraig
Hello, please can somebody help me with an issue I have?

I have a 54 plate (2004) TDci 130 BHP Mondeo, and last month my Glow Plug Light started flashing (and car went into limp mode with no turbo) when I put my foot down.

I changed the Fuel Filter and all was well for about 2 weeks (1000 miles)

THEN..... Glow plug light again when I put my foot down, and now engine management light is on.

When I accelerate the car slowly, I have a light clackering between 2000 - 3000 rpm, and stil - if I accelerate too much the glow plug light flashes and limp mode returns again, until engine re-start.

Yesterday, the engine idle became very, VERY rough, as if it is mis-firing??????? but when you rev in neutral, the mis-fire become less prominet (but you can still tell its there)

Can anyone please tell me what is wrong?? :-(

Thanx folks, Craig!