Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - oilrag
You think you`re past all that really, but an A class came slowly past us on the motorway this AM, with the female passenger actually looking into the van and sneering.

Outstanding I thought really! But a few miles further and there was an incline and a stiff headwind. Really quiet there too with it being bank holiday and early morning.

Anyway, crept up in the middle lane, matched its speed and my wife looked in. Two sour faces looking back! More throttle and pulled away from it, letting them read `Van`,` Fiat` and `Punto` on the tailgate.

I might have done that as a teenager, but now..

Anyway, do you sneer out? or do people sneer in?

;-)
`

Edited by oilrag on 31/08/2009 at 19:06

Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - Avant
A new variation on the 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones' idea. People in German minicabs shouldn't sneer.....punkt.

The Mercedes B-class I had 2 cars ago was almost the least distinguished I've had in 40 years, the wooden spoon being held by the Chrysler Horizon, which I mistakenly chose ahead of a Golf thinking it had more room for the family.
Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - Mr.Tee43
Modern vans are great and some of them have performance to shame a lot of cars. An example. although pricey, is the VW transporter van with the 170 hp engine.

Someone I know, who happens to be quite wealthy, actually has a new Mercedes Vito van to run around in, and he could afford virtually anything. I would qualify that with the fact that he does have a 4wd as well.

Of course, the fastest van on the motorway, has to be the rough looking Mercedes Sprinter Van, which always seems to be doing well in excess of the speed limit.
Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - Optimist
with the female passenger actually looking into the van and sneering. >>

You know what, oilrag, it may have been nothing to do with you. Some people just look like that because that's what their lives have done to them.

I'd rather have her sneering in at me than sitting beside me!

Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - gordonbennet
I'm inclined to agree with Optometrist here, you've only got to venture half a mile from the front door to see human misery, people seemingly unable to crack a smile, sour pouts abounding, having to be careful not to catch their eye in case ''wha'yerlukinat'' should part their lips.

When you think of how good we have it here (no thanks to our MP's before they try to take the credit) compared to some hell holes in other parts of the world, i wonder sometimes just how they would cope.

It may not have been a sneer anyway it could have been mutterings of prayers that the A class would make it home under it's own steam, or pure jealousy at the stunning beauty of the Lady O and jealous contempt for the lucky Oily himself..;)
Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - Alby Back
It might just have been wind......
Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - ifithelps
....might just have been wind...

Or the thought of paying the fare.

If she was on the motorway, I bet the taxi meter was clocking up a nice few quid.
"having to be careful not to catch their eye in case ''wha'yerlukinat'' should part their lips."

Talking about that GB. I`ve been doing as bit of an informal study into eye contact in Northern France and Yorkshire.

(seriously)

I`ve noticed that if you are looking straight into someones eyes in France (typically shopping centre at 10 yards) they *slightly* avert their eyes to one side instantly - as though they really intended to look just past your shoulder all along.

Here you get a *grimace reaction, or at best a more complete eye break - a sort of more radical reaction.

Edited by oilrag on 31/08/2009 at 20:59

Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - gordonbennet
straight into someones eyes in France (typically shopping
centre at 10 yards) they *slightly* avert their eyes to one side instantly -

It could be the huge cross of St George on your chest Oily, together with that perfected Yorkshire stare, you know the sort seen when someone says 'your round', hardly surprising they avert their gaze, cross themselves and scuttle off sharpish..;)

Regarding your eye contact experiment, you do live dangerously, and in some layby's you could find some strange new friends..so i'm told..;)
I`m still interested in non verbal behaviour GB. Can`t switch it off despite retirement....;-)

Edited by oilrag on 31/08/2009 at 21:13

If you hold eye contact for a fraction longer than normal and it is met.... (so my friend at work used to tell me)

Did you find the `non verbals` with the monkey? quiz, that is. Very revealing I thought...

Edited by oilrag on 31/08/2009 at 21:18

Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - gmac
Of course the fastest van on the motorway has to be the rough looking Mercedes
Sprinter Van which always seems to be doing well in excess of the speed limit.

With an AstraMax 1.6D glued to its back bumper flashing him out of the way :)

Edited by gmac on 31/08/2009 at 21:17

Old habits die hard, A class sneers at the van.... - boxsterboy
I sometimes find myself sneering at hulking great 4x4s as they try and squeeze their way through smal urban side streets.