Where you live can affect your car - barney100
Fascinating piece of info from a chap who serviced my car. i mentioned my car needed rear springs recently and he said that when he worked in Basingstoke springs on Merecedes were a common replacement job but in Guildford they are quite a rare job. Apparently our air in Bstoke is affected by being nearer to the sea than Guildford which is not so saline. Any vagaries in your area?
Where you live can affect your car - Robin Reliant
I've always thought that was a myth. Cars on the west coast of Wales don't seem any rustier than when I lived in London.
Where you live can affect your car - TedCrilly
I lived just outside Southport for many years, about 1/4 mile from the coast and I have to say my vehicles never suffered from "aggrivated corrosion". Nor did I ever see endless streams of motorists queing up to have various pieces of undercarriage replaced due the effects of rust.......therefore I am forced to take such statements with a rather large pinch of "Sodium Chloride"!

On the subject of which..........any residents of this fair town would be ideally qualified to pass comment.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_salt_in_Middlewich

381 character long link replaced with a slightly shorter one !

Edited by Pugugly on 29/08/2009 at 18:21

Where you live can affect your car - Stuartli
I've lived in Southport all my life and owned a wide variety of cars - like TedCrilly they've never exhibited signs of corrosion from salt air and I live only just over a mile from the sea.
Where you live can affect your car - old crocks
I find this hard to believe. And Basingstoke is no nearer the sea on my map.
Maybe just more humps about.
Where you live can affect your car - Rattle
It will be the quality of the roads rather than salt water.
Where you live can affect your car - 1400ted
Would never buy a seaside car. I was ggiven a 1989 Vitara a few years ago. It was rotten all thec way through...even the chassis crossmember under the boot floor, above the tank had rusted right through. Ended up in the crusher.
Supplying original dealer was in Ayr ! Car must have been parked on the prom all it's life.

Ted
You'll get rusty cars everywhere. This salt in the air business has never made sense, I reckon it stays in the water.

Or I can't see how it gets out, anyway.
Where you live can affect your car - Pugugly
Bet you live well inland Robin
Bet you live well inland Robin

About three miles, I don't know if you would class that as well inland.
Where you live can affect your car - CGNorwich
Not to mention the salt sprayed on the roads in the winter. Mind you Basingstoke sur mer has a nice ring to it.
Where you live can affect your car - Andrew-T
Our air in B'stoke is affected by being nearer to the sea than Guildford

?? Just which sea is B'stoke nearer than Guildford, pray? Bristol Channel I suppose. Tosh.
Where you live can affect your car - bell boy
i buy a lot of cars from the newcastle area and they are indeed always rustier underneath than say the equivalent birmingham car so yes ive always found cars near the north sea rustier than the atlantic side
must be partly due to the drift currents? that west is best
Where you live can affect your car - Old Navy
Its all due to poor quality control of the strength of the road salt used in winter! :)
Where you live can affect your car - Rattle
My car spent its life in Nottingham and since 2003 in Manchester. It was bought my a Scottish student in 2003 when it was four years old. He owned it until 2009 and sold it to me. It also means the car did spend some time on the Scottish highland isles though :(.

time on the Scottish highland isles though :(.

Not sure where the "Highland isles" are, but most of the inhabited bits of the Scottish islands are at sea level and quite mild in climate.
Where you live can affect your car - alfatrike
in devon if the mud and cowpoo on the road doesn't kill the car the state of the road surface will. i do a couple of track rod ends every year.
Where you live can affect your car - maz64
Can't remember where I heard/saw it, but can it be a problem if you live near a bit of a railway line where high speed trains brake? I know there's quite a strong smell on the train, so something must be getting into the air.
I think that is iron dust from the brakes damaging paintwork.
Where you live can affect your car - maz64

I wonder what it's doing to my lungs...

I believe the smell may have more to do with phosphor bronze in the pads/linings?
Where you live can affect your car - Pugugly
sounds even more unhealthy
Where you live can affect your car - Cliff Pope
Avoid Basingstoke-on-Sea this weekend. There will be long traffic jams as people head for the bracing sea air, if not the miles of sun-soaked beaches.

Edited by Cliff Pope on 30/08/2009 at 09:04

Where you live can affect your car - Rumfitt
Whilst on holiday in North Wales I bought a local rag, which had an interesting ad by a local dealer. The ad stated that all his cars were genuine local cars, and pointedly not from Scottish auctions, where the cars were in much poorer condition. He implied that many competing traders bought their cars from these sources.

My VW Bora is 10 years old in November - it spent the first three-and-a-half years of its life in Scotland and the remainder has been right on the North West coast line (see earlier posting!)
Where you live can affect your car - zookeeper
old people usually go to live near the sea , they live longer for it, just a thought
old people usually go to live near the sea they live longer for it just a thought>>

One of our friends died a few weeks ago - he was 103, kept active and had a sharp brain right to the end of his life.
Where you live can affect your car - RickyBoy
All you can ever hope for?

One of my great ambitions is to achieve more pensionable (years) payments from my employer than I did salaried one's.

I've got to make it to 89 before I'm in the black!
Where you live can affect your car - barney100
Many a true word Mr Pope, I reckon the M3 will be chocker block with people returning from the West country tomorrow.
sounds even more unhealthy

Phosphor bronze pads on iron discs, Im surprised elf 'n safety havent banned train brakes.
Where you live can affect your car - Old Codger
2 Points - In the early 80's I had occasion to visit a sea-side town in Norway. These were the days when British cars rusted thro' in 3 or 4 years, as my Metro and Fiesta did. In a very large car park there wasn't a single car with any rust on it whatsoever! Secondly, many years ago the AA produced a 3 monthly mag, forget what it was called, but they carried out a survey which categorically stated that the most rust free cars were in the middle of Wales, the Lake District and the north west of Scotland, all rain sodden areas. As an aside, no driver under say 50 can possibly appreciate the problem rust was on cars in those days. I spent £'s on rust curing products to no avail whatsoever. Today rust on cars 10 years old is rarely seen.
No driver under say 50 can possibly appreciate the problem rust was on cars in those days

I don't think run-of-the-mill cars were effectively rustproofed until the 80s. Brochures for the 205 (I still have one) made great play of their 7-stage process - and my 1990 205 is proof of that pudding.

From 1964-66 I drove a BMC 1100 around Alberta, BC, and the western States. I was not really into cars then, but I don't remember seeing many rusty cars. We then took the car to Ottawa, where they salted the roads, and it started to fall apart straight away. Putting salt on the roads is a most hostile act to a car, and a prime example of short-term expediency (especially in UK, where frost usually lasts only a few days) for long-term loss.