306 "Rattle" - Ross_D
Hey all,
More problems with my 306 DTurbo again!! There seems to be a rattle coming from the O/S front wheel area. It only happens when I dont have my foot on the throttle, eg slowing down or slowly cornering. I recently changed the driveshaft on that side because it had a lot of play in it and I thought that would be the source of the problem. How wrong I was. I cant feel any movement in the ARB droplinks, and there seems to be no movement in the wheel bearing. I thought it would be the droplinks, but the problem only manifests when driving slowly over rough ground or cornering, never when accelerating or cruising.
Anybody have any thoughts??
Cheers
Ross
306 - Ian Cook
I cant feel any movement in the ARB droplinks

How much movement do you think you might be looking for, Ross? I've just had the same problem on a 306D. The play in the anti roll bar link was only just perceptible - quite a bit less than 1mm at one end - but enough to make it rattle.

Also, you can only test this with the car on jacks with both front wheels clear of the ground, otherwise the anti roll bar will load up one side.

It might be worth taking another look.

Ian Cook
306 - Ross_D
Yes, thanks for this, I will take another look. I suppose it doesnt cost too much to replace the droplinks as a matter of course anyway. It has always struck me as a stupid design anyway. If you take a look at a Citroen ZX or an early 306, they have metal links with no balljoints and these seem to be much more durable, unless anybody can say otherwise! I suppose its another example of cost cutting!!
Cheers
Ross
306 - Ian Cook
Prepare yourself for a nasty shock, Ross - the Pug drop links are £28 each side, including new nyloc nuts. Ouch - and the links are plastic, too!

Ian Cook
306 - Ross_D
Ian,
I get all my pug bits from NEAT, mostly OEM stuff and much cheaper. Droplinks are £10.50 and I recently got an Oil filter from them. It came in the Peugeot box and everything.... and the cost? £2.95. Good Stuff!!
Cheers
Ross
306 - David Lacey
Common problem, those links, done loads of them.

You won't see much play but don't they ever make a din!

Same on the Citroen BX
MG-Rover Questions? forums.mg-rover.org/