Setting records for age of fuel in the tank - oilrag
This post is about ageing fuel in car fuel tanks. Petrol and diesel. (I touched on this a while back)

I was just reflecting on it. Arrived home from France early July, the remaining diesel from Calais then lasted a few weeks. Refueled and weeks later still have a 2/3 tank of derv left.

Now the next continental trip in the van, has been canceled and we will be flying out to the far east - even for the first time using a taxi to Manchester airport.

That will still leave the 2/3rds tank as we enter October... Summer diesel.

I don`t see a problem with that as (from memory) Summer derv is OK to -7c. But how about the ageing proportion of fuel in the tank

The common wisdom is to keep the tank full of derv to avoid air and subsequent water contamination of fuel.

But it seems to me, there must be a trade off at some point between a drop or so of water that can be easily drained from the filter and derv that is continuing to deteriorate, with the risk of forming asphaltines that are large enough to start plugging the filter - IF the fuel in the tank is not emptied by use as much as possible before each refueling.

I wonder how much of the water concern (microbes) arises from evidence in static storage tanks where there is not a constant circulation of fuel with a filter to separate it out?
In other words, taking a stance where `condensation concerns` are paramount. How does that change over time?

Setting records for age of fuel in the tank - Alby Back
I've got a can of petrol in my garage which has a bit of 2 stroke oil in it. It is kept to refill my petrol strimmer from time to time. Must be five years old. Strimmer still runs ok on it.
Setting records for age of fuel in the tank - Old Navy
Oilrag, if you are that worried you could always remove the fuel tank, filter, and pipework, drain and dispose of the fuel at the council oil disposal site, reassemble and refill the fuel system when you next need to use the van.

Edited by Old Navy on 27/08/2009 at 21:44

Setting records for age of fuel in the tank - gordonbennet
Good grief Navy, could you imagine how filthy Oily would be if he did that job with all that grease under the motor, he'd never get clean in time for his trip and they'd refuse him entry to the plane...;)

Considering how long some cars have sat in compounds etc several years wouldn't give cause for concern.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/08/2009 at 22:02

I thought it would give an opportunity to polish the top of the fuel tank and grease the floorpan above the tank. :)
Cheers GB

ON, Well, i`ve poured everything else in there when they aren`t looking. All eyes swivel when the small van enters the council tip - there is then an interrogation about ze lost (van) tokens.

Edited by oilrag on 27/08/2009 at 22:09

"I thought it would give an opportunity to polish the top of the fuel tank and grease the floorpan above the tank. :) "

I`ve already sprayed oil in that area.... ;-)

If you dare enter the tip in a VAN - you must have your papers or you`re expelled out the other side.

Edited by oilrag on 27/08/2009 at 22:13

Setting records for age of fuel in the tank - retgwte
My father the last few years he was driving was using half a tank of fuel per year! yes I know its a stupid waste of a car but it was his choice

I've left a car at a friends house expecting to be out of the country for a few weeks to end up being out of the country a few years...

Enjoy your trip to the far flung oilrag, your van will be fine and start first time, might be a bit dusty though! My diesel will be dumped at an airport when I go in the opposite direction soon, I am confident it will start on my return. The longest I have left a car at an airport is a month and that started no problem. Batteries are more of a problem than fuel.

Edited by Old Navy on 27/08/2009 at 22:19

Cheers Guys.

The van`s doing around 8,000 a year. We don`t really NEED two vehicles but when I retired I tried it without (wife at work with hers) for 3 months and i have never felt so trapped. That`s being within walking distance of town too.

I can understand getting down to almost no use at all, but keeping a car on the drive.
Setting records for age of fuel in the tank - Alby Back
My wife's parents do less than 2000 miles a year. No idea what the range of a 1.4 Fiesta is but he mustn't have to fill it up very often.
"My diesel will be dumped at an airport when I go in the opposite direction soon,"

It will be the first time to use a taxi for us on the airport trip from Leeds, £110 return instead of the long stay pre booking at £70. But then there`s a tenner for derv and is it worth £30 to keep my eyes shut at 4.00am..

Don`t know, it`s an experiment ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 27/08/2009 at 22:32

Setting records for age of fuel in the tank - 1400ted
I have a can of petrol which must be 11 years old. I syphoned it out of the Renault 4 van which had been stood rotting for 8 yrs. I kept a gallon 'cos it seemed a good, non-volatile cleaning and degreasing fluid.
The van hasn't been run since Dec 07. I put some jump leads on today without much hope. Got a good spark at the king lead, churned her over for a minute and she started and ran well.
Moved her into a more accessible place and gave her a good hot wash with dishwasher powder to remove the green mould and snail trails.
I'm going to put her up for sale in a couple of weeks with all the spares.
Pity, she's a bit surplus now and I need the space.

Ted
Setting records for age of fuel in the tank - Rattle
That will be a shame, I used to see that van a lot when it was parked in the previous owners flat drive. I always wondered why the landlord put up with it. Hopefully it will go to a good owner.

I cannot remember the last time I saw 4 on the road.