3 SERIES R/Bush/Ball Joint URGENT - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Mate has an '89 BMW 2.0l 3 SERIES.

It's just failed it MOT on R/Bush & Sterring Ball Joint.

The quote is 300 quid. ie) More than the value of the car.

The garage raised the posibility of rusted bolts.

He wants to keep the car but reckons it isn't worth spending 300 quid (plus any extras if they shear a few bolts)

Questions:

1) Can someone explain how to do the rear bush [1] and give an idea of how hard this task is.

2) I've done front ball joints before and assume they're all the same. Any special tips for the Beemer?

3) Is it worth us having a go?

[1] He doesn't know which bush this is. Will it be the same arrangement as my Rover 414 rear swing arms?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
3 SERIES R/Bush/Ball Joint URGENT - Toad, of Toad Hall.
www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/suspension/e30_rear_subf...l

Anyone get any comment on the above link?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
3 SERIES R/Bush/Ball Joint URGENT - David Davies
They tell you exactly what to do in that link you posted,but they did not mention that that the part that needs heating up is very close to the fuel tank on both sides and on a 13 year old car its going to need a fair bit of heat.So its not a job to attempt unless you are quite adept at this sort of thing.My advice would be to do the front ball joint yourself and leave the subframe bush to a pro garage.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
3 SERIES R/Bush/Ball Joint URGENT - Dizzy {P}
Toad,

A professional mechanic friend who does almost all work himself on his 1989 5-Series (note, not 3-Series) once told me that replacing the rear cross-member rubber is one job that he leaves to a BMW garage as they are such a pain to do without the proper equipment. He had his done two or three years ago and said that it was expensive but money well spent to have someone else do it.

You may find something about this job on the 3-Series on www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html or you could ask the same question on the Message Page there. That site is used by lots of budget BMW owners.