03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - Felics
Hi its come to that time where ive got to replace my battery in my ford focus 1.8tdci 52 (2003). It been wondering what battery ti choose from, the spec on th etop of my battery states its 60Ah, 12V, 540Amps with fit 075. It also states in my handbook that i must replace it with a calcium based one.

Ive been given some options a Bosch S4004 or the Bosch S4007. Now ive been looking through the spec of the S4004 and noticed that it matches the exact spec stated but when i asked the seller he advised the S4007. This however doesnt match the spec i stated.

Its safe to say im confused as to what to do. Can anyone reccommend a good calcium based battery?
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - Peter D
The S4007 is 36mm longer is rated at 72 Ah and 680 cold cranking. Check you battery tray can house the extra length. The heavy duty version is fitted for cold country sales. Regards Peter
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - jc2
Go to a Ford dealer.
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - davecuk
Find the cheapest battery of near enough the right capacity you can that will fit and use that, they mostly have a 1 or 2 year warranty on them whatever the make..

I had a Honda insight which was a Hybrid, but still used a normal 12V batter for the initial engine start. The battery failed around 6 years old and I asked about the price of the replacement. It was a special calcium based lightweight 40 or 60 amp hour smallish battery made by Bosch for the insight.£250!

Same amp hour replacement from no name make, that pretty much fitted with slightly less tightening of the battery clip.....£18.50. No problems at all and still working fine when I sold the car a few months ago.
It's a Focus, you have to fit a calcium battery as the charge circuit is quite specifically designed for that. Regards Peter
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - Hamsafar
Try Ford Rapid Fit. Dealers are often reasonable on such bread & butter items.
www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepa...t
As above, you must fit a calcium battery on cars which require them, due to the high charging voltage and current.

Edited by Hamsafar on 26/08/2009 at 20:04

03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - Diamond
A few days ago the original (!) battery on my 10 year old Focus (I bought the car a few weeks ago) finally gave up the ghost. I trotted down to the auto shop where the guy plonked an ordinary lead acid battery on the counter. At the time I was not up to speed on types of battery (calcium) etc., so happily accepted this. However once home I came onto this site and discovered that the Focus and other Fords MUST have a calcium battery else the battery can be fried in a matter of months and also wierd faults start appearing so I was grateful for the advice offered here.

I took the battery back (I never installed it) and got my money back. The guy there said I was paranoid and that he had 'sold hundreds of these (lead acid) batteries to Focus owners'.

What I did was bite the bullet and went to the Ford dealership and bought a nice calcium silver battery - OK it was double the price of the ordinary one but at least I know no damage is going to be done to it or the car.

My advice is that you buy a Ford battery at whatever the rating you have at present. You will pay more but you will have peace of mind.

Also thanks to the various posters on here who alerted readers to this issue.
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - Wurzel83
I wasnt so concious of the importance of the Cadmium issue at the time hence I went to Unipart and bought one for £43 inc VAT. Put it in and it has worked perfectly for a month. If it goes in a few months then Ill take it back under the 3 year warranty. The one I removed was the longer type (278mm?) and the one I put in is the shorter type (243mm?) but what I did ensure was that they were the same capacity (60AH).

However After having read this thread, if I were to buy again I would certanly read the other threads on the consequences of fitting a standard battery because I am left wondering whether it wil cause any permanent damage to the wiring.
Wurzel83 - Read somewhere on this forum that if you remove the three pin plug from the alternator then this will put it into 'standard mode' so it will charge at the 'traditional' rate as opposed to smart charge.

I've never tried this maybe someone reading this will confirm this is correct? This could save your new battery from an untimely death?
Forgot to say that I also used a Draper memory saver when changing the battery. By doing so I didn't have to muck about driving ten miles or so so that the ECU could relearn the settings, and didn't have to worry about the radio code or clock either. They are about £9.99 well worth the money.
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - davecuk
Re my earlier post about the Insight battery, it does appear that the Focus has a different charging system and puts around 17 volts into the battery when cold. So my apologies, looks like you need the correct type of battery....pity
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - jc2
Calcium batteries can be fitted to cars with all sorts of charging systems from dynamos to high-tech alternators but high tech alternators MUST have calcium batteries.
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - henry k
I had checked the Bosch site many moons ago and discovered that Ford switched the charging circuit and to a Calcium battery in 1998 for my 1998 Mondeo so it is not a new situation and I suspect it may be a requirement on other Fords.

My battery recently died. During my searching /phone calls I was offered a battery from a major tyre fitting co for £45. I questioned the price and surprised the lass with "I do not want it as it is far too cheap!"
I finished up paying £100 for a Varta from a Ford dealer and know I am correctly set up.
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - MikeTorque
Forgot to say that I also used a Draper memory saver when changing the battery.

Nice touch Diamond, it saves a lot of hassle and a useful tip on how to simplify matters when disconnecting or changing a battery.
Draper Car Computer Memory Saver details via this link for anyone who's interested : tinyurl.com/n38lf5

I agree with the calcium battery recommendation for a Ford as already mentioned by others.
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - Wurzel83
Thanks for the tip diamond - Ill have a look at the Alternator when I chage the oil in a couple of weeks.
03 1.8 Which battery specification? Confused.. - Felics
thanks for all your messages, i was just wondering if the bosch S4004 was a calcium based battery. i cant seem to find the info anywhere
www.bosch.co.za/content/language1/html/5154.htm
Yes the S404 is a calcium silver battery for Focuses 03 onwards. you can even but them on ebay.
Regards Peter