97 2.0D - a rattle, then black smoke, then stopped - Matt89
I bought the car 8 month ago and haven't had any problems with it. Saturday morning I started the car and was concerned with a sort of rattling noise it was making but, and something I regret doing with hindsight, I set off regardless. About 5 mile later the car began to stuter and some black smoke was coming from the exhaust then the engine stopped with a burning smell and smoke coming from under the engine.

After pushing the car onto the verge I opened the bonnet and found the battery had leaked and checking the cooling fluid bottle found it was empty.

The engine won't start as the electrics are all off. After leaving the car for a good few hours I went back to collect my things from it and took a bottle of water to fill the cooling reservoir. I left it and returned the next day and the resevoir was still full.

I know it will need a new battery but have no expierience other than changing tyres as to fixing cars. Any ideas what may be wrong just to give me an idea of the possibilities I may be looking at would be appreciated.

Thank you
Matt

PS: It's diesel if that has any relevance.

{tried to make the subject header less vague. I think I failed!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/08/2009 at 21:41

97 2.0 Any ideas on what may have went wrong? - bathtub tom
When did you last check the oil and coolant level?
97 2.0 Any ideas on what may have went wrong? - Matt89
It wasn't long ago, a week at most. Topped off the coolant which was low and the oil was fine.
So, it was losing coolant. At what sort of rate was the loss?
Not particularly fast, I must have topped it up by about a pint a month up to that morning when it was making the noise and empty after 10 minutes of driving.
Sounds expensive, probably due to loss of coolant. May just be a leak that caused it, or a water pump, or head gasket.

Is it worth repairing?
The car cost me £500 and I got 8 month out of it so I'll not begrudge it if it's dead but gonna get a definite diagnosis and see what it'll cost.
I'd say the pump most likely, would explain the noise coming from the bonnet and the rapid loss of cooling fluid although what damage other than the battery it's done to the engine remains to be discovered, hopefully not much.