00 2.0 Horn Won't Work - mep12345
The horn on my Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Estate isn't working.

Having de-cyphered the fuse location description of "buzzer" as the horn I have checked that the fuse (engine bay fuse panel, Fuse 5) is good and that there is a good 12V to the input side. Depressing the horn button doesn't drop this voltage, but increases the earth side voltage to approx 0.2V, implying that there is a relay operating within the system allowing a partial voltage to the fuse and implying that the horn push switch is working.

My intent next is to check the connections at the horn (tomorrow morning) and check the relay, but I am not sure which relay is the correct one. The hand book and Haynes manual are of no help.

My questions therefore are:

where the hell is this relay? and

has anyone else experienced this and is there anything else I should check?

Thanks

Mark
00 2.0 Horn Won't Work - steve_earwig
Hi there. Not sure about relay but the horn push contacts can get a bit fuzzy and I'd be heading straight for them. I've done a How To for changing the com2000 on the later cars which includes horn pad removal, should you be having any problems with that (piece of cake if you know how, headache if you don't): tinyurl.com/myq5r2
Thanks Steve, a good set of instructions. However, my steering wheel doesn't appear to have the hole you mention anyone know of any other way of releasing the pad.

By the way I am now down to the fault being with the wheel pad connectors or the relay as bypassing the relay the horn works (but this also bypasses the steering wheel push pad).

Mark
Just to add to the last post - mine appears to have two Torx headed screws in the back going through the steering wheel, but definately doesn't have the hole to release the wire catch for the airbag. Could my airbag assembly be held on by these two Torx bolts rather than being "snapped" in by the wire retaining assembly?
Eek! 2000? You got it, it's the two torx screws. All the other precautions still apply (all sounds a bit ott to me but I'd rather be safe than sorry).
Cheers, guessed it must be but wanted to be sure

Mark
Right update - horn still won't work. Have checked fuse and voltages throughout system. 12V where expected and 0V where expected. The horn works when you bypass the relay (apply 12V direct to horn) and the relay changes over when you earth the terminal that is switched via the horn push; this also sounds the horn. All this pointed me to the horn push.

I have stripped the steering wheel and found my connectors are different to those on the links above, so does anyone know how the orange connector in the middle of the photos at the links comes off

i334.photobucket.com/albums/m405/meprince_photo/PI...g

so I can get the airbag pad away from the steering wheel.

Anyway, carefully holding the wheel pad I cleaned the horn contacts and checked them for continuity before and after but both were the same - no resistance when they make and open circuit when released as expected. I can't check voltage here as to do so would require the battery connected and with the airbag disconnected this is not possible.

Reconnected the wheel pad and checked contacts are making (you can hear a good click on contact) and also checked for resistance continuity using flyleads to +ve and -ve side of contacts. This seems to be working switching between open and short circuit when expected.

All this leads me to the conclusion that a wire is broken somewhere in the horn push part of the circuitry so intention is to run a new wire from fusebox to a new push button sited on the dash to right of steering wheel unless someone has any other ideas or knows of frequent wire break or other areas to check.

Therefore questions are:

1. Have I missed anything?
2. How do I remove that orange connector?

Any help appreciated

Mark

Edited by mep12345 on 03/09/2009 at 15:07

Where were you testing from? The grey connector? If the fault's somewhere between that and the wiring in the steering column then it could be the ribbon, next up you'll have an airbag fault :( Oddly yours seems to have two wires for the horn, are the contacts inside it?

The connector looks completely different to mine and the Berlingo one on Aussie Frogs too (tinyurl.com/lkq36f), although I can't see the side of it in your pics (you sure it was worth uploading the second one?). I think you're right not to try levering it apart with a screwdriver unless you're sure.
Testing at the connectors to the horn contacts, i.e. where the green/yellow and red wires attach by spade connectors.

The contacts for the horn are on the four corners of the metal you can see (one is at very top of first picture in the middle and another is at the bottom directly to the right of my second finger - there are two more not visible. The horn push works by the metal "square" that you can see moving back and forward on the spring loaded lugs (the ends of which are the four brass discs) and contacting with a second metal "square" (only the two top corners of which are visible in this picture) via the four (or any one of the four) contacts in each corner.

You say I have 2 wires for the horn, I also have only one connector for the airbag whereas your pictures and Haynes show two.

Yep second picture not worth it!!!!

The berlingo one seems to have the same arrangement as yours with the spring retainer leaving half the electrical contactors in the steering wheel when you remove the airbag, whereas mine removes all the electrical components with the airbag leaving a bare steering wheel.

Mark
That took me a while to figure out! They look rather fiddly. I've just spent a half hour trawling through the tiny fuzzy pictures on ebay and I'm beginning to think that the orange ones don't have any form of lock. The only thing I could come up with via google was this tinyurl.com/mokxyo, which looks similar - 8 pictures down, the guy just says "give it a pull" :?

One thing, providing you have the airbag ecu disconnected I can't see any problem powering it. Would be best with the airbag out of the way though.
How the hell did you find that - I tried with no luck before posting!!!! Yes that is the same connector. However after your last post I thought I know the berlingo needs the shroud removed lets take mine off and I think the Comm200 on my car is also a little different to yours. Think I can also disconnect at the orange connector in this photo

or this

to free up the airbag and pass through the wheel but will try the pull approach now you've identified a picture - did pull a little but nervous of breaking ribbon/airbag as could be very expensive.

Think I'm going down route of new horn push in fake wood trim to right of driver!!!!

Mark

Edited by mep12345 on 03/09/2009 at 18:24

I can be a little anal when it comes to the 406... How can 1 model have so many variations?!

I'm not exactly sure what that connector is but if it's the other side of the air bag reel (squib, clockspring) I wouldn't think it would free things up.

Yours isn't multiplexed, it's not all one big bit.

You need to ask your favourite MOT station about the button on the dash, I have a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't pass an MOT.
Have asked my oppo who does MOTs, the wording in the manual says horn must operate and the control "must be within easy reach of the driver" it doesn't need to be in the original or standard position.

Oh it must also not be of a multi tone or rising tone variety (what has that to do with safety or environmental performance which the MOT is meant to test!!!!)

With respect to your "how many variations?" question - if you think these are bad you should try a TVR S3 like my weekend toy, not only 5 models made from donor vehicles but also you could have pretty much any option you like if you ordered one new, makes a Pug look good on configuration control.

BTW your help much appreciated and have now found the 406oc forums by following your posts, hadn't found that one before
Fair enough, I reckon you should mark it though, I once got an advisory because one of my seatbelt releases didn't feature the word "push".

So no playing Dukes of Hazard then :)

TVR? You must be brave... I know, today let's use black wires for everything!

I try, it annoys me when I don't have the answers (which is more often than not). See you in da club!!