96 1.6 Cam Belt Changes? - Quicksilver
I have just purchased an old but reasonably well maintained 1.6i Volvo 440 SE. The mileage is now 54k which looks genuine.

There are a lot of main dealer service stamps in the book but I can find no reference to the cambelt change.

Can somebody tell me when it was/is due and how much it would be for a replacement at a good independent garage?

How easy would it be to do it by myself? Access to the cambelt area looks very restricted!
I assume that the cambelt also drives the water pump? Any history of problems with these engines?

Lastly I notice an auxiliary water pump, (electrically driven) on the heater side of the cooling system. What is this for? The car has no air conditioning and this item looks kind of strange, (to my eyes!).

Thanks for your replies.

Q.
Bump!
Hi everybody, does anybody know about this engine? I think it is Renault derived or may actually be a Renault engine?

I have not had time to get a Haynes manual on the car yet so any information that you have is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Q.

96 1.6 Cam Belt Changes? - datostar
You've probably got the Renault K7M engine. The cambelt does drive the water pump on this engine. Renault recommend new belt at 70,000 miles - Haynes prefer 40,000.
Thanks for that.

Does anybody have an idea how much a belt change would be?

Thanks, Q.