97 1.25 Car losing power when accelerating esp. up - adamb1984
Hi there, was wondering if anyone could help me!

My Fiesta MK4 1.25 has recently starting driving like a dog-when accelerating it frequently loses power, especially going uphill. I have to then "experiment" with various positions on the accelerator pedal until it regains power. As you can imagine this can be a bit dangerous when driving on the motorway/at junctions/roundabouts! As a result it also appears to be drinking much more fuel, presumably due to the uneven nature of my acceleration!

This has only been happening in the last week or so (I drove through a Ford a week ago-will the water have had an effect?) although it has always been a bit dodgy in this respect- for example when I would put my foot flat on the accelerator (especialy in high gears) not much would happen, and it accelerated better when I released my foot from the pedal a little.

Any help would be much appreciated!
97 1.25 Car losing power when accelerating esp. up - jay006
i am sorry to be no help but i have the same car and the same problem if you have resolved the issue i would love to no how you did it. i also went through alot of water after a storm a week befor i got the problem??
97 1.25 Car losing power when accelerating esp. up - jimmyspanner
Hi, I have had the same issue as you, with a slighlty diffeent spec engine, I found that putting a new set of spark plugs in helped solve the problem. If this is a problem at the moment for any reason try spraying some WD-40 up the HT leads, this will drive out the damp and help solve an issue.
97 1.25 Car losing power when accelerating esp. up - bell boy
needs a clutch
97 1.25 Car losing power when accelerating esp. up - m-man
the mass air flow sensor needs replacing, its a common fault on the mk4, had this problem the other day literally, its a cheap part, ten to fifteen quid from a scrapyard, two screws and a jubilee clip at the other side hold the sensor on, between the air filter unit and the engine block, justbehind the air intake/pollen filter (rhs of the grille area), take care with the wiring plug under the sensor, best to remove it once the unit is free from the engine.
I sympathise as I was stressing and couldn't over-take anybody. good luck