96 1.9 Overheating at speed - kcsi05
Our Peugeot 405 diesel has started overheating whilst at high speed, we have checked both fans and they work at both low and high speed. -high speed kicks in about 110
My other half has been putting the heater on full and hot to help get some of the heat out of the system, though when this was done the other night the heater started out blowing out hot air and then it cooled down till it was very cool air that was coming though, even though the temperature gauge was up to about 110 and we could hear the fans going at high speed -Does this suggest that there is an air lock causing the problem or am I thinking along the wrong lines?

Thanks

Edited by kcsi05 on 21/08/2009 at 18:26

96 1.9 Overheating at speed - Peter.N.
The most likely problem is that you need a new radiator, if its still the original it will have lost some efficiency by now, especially if it has not had a good strong antifreeze mix. The fans will have little or no effect at speed as the ram effect of the air is far greater than the fans could provide.

Are you loosing water through the overflow? look for staining around it and the cap, if so, could be your head gasket is leaking, that would account for your heater going cold, the water being replaced by combustion gas.
96 1.9 Overheating at speed - andyp
It does sound like the classic symptoms of head gasket failure on this engine. I would get a pressure test and "sniff" test done first.
96 1.9 Overheating at speed - autumnboy
If these are the same as the Citroen ZX engines, then you should see in various places around the cooling system some bleeding points, heater, thermostat and radiator. To bleed these free of air lock you should get a plastic container like a milk bottle and maybe wrap some tape around the bottle neck to get a snug fit in the rad filler neck.

You then fill the bottle with engine running and bleed these various points, and keeping the bottle full.

If you are not using water of any large amount of more than 1/2 litre per 200 miles, then I think the Rad is needing replacement otherwise, if you are using a great deal of water then the head gasket is suspect.

But do not allow these engines to overheat or you will surely blow the gasket.