99 1.8 Ignition light on intermittently whilst dri - jenni_pitt
Hi, I drive a 1999 T reg Vauxhall Zafira which has developed yet another annoying fault. Whilst on a motorway drive two weeks ago, the light which shows the engine and a spark (the ignition light?) came on and stayed on for about 60 seconds. this continued throughout the journey which was about 120 miles each way. At the longest, the light was on for no longer than 3 mins.

The light does not seem to come on during normal urban driving.

We did another long motorway journey (again about 120 miles each way) and the light is coming on intermittently and again for no longer than a few mins.

The car has been recently service and passed the MOT three days ago. It had a new alternator fitted about three years ago and we had a new battery not long after that as the failing alternator had damaged the existing one.

We are getting sick of this car, two clutches and a gear box last year thanks to a bad recovery driver forcing the car into gear, alternator, two front sets of tyres, engine difficult to work on.

Anyone got any ideas? Is this a serious problem? It only seems to happen when my Husband drives the car.
99 1.8 Ignition light on intermittently whilst dri - Dynamic Dave
From your description, that sounds like the emissions fault light. To quote from the handbook:-

If it lights up when the engine is running:
Fault in emission control system. The permitted emission limits may be exceeded. Consult a workshop. We recommend a Vauxhall Authorised Repairer.

If it flashes when the engine is running:
For fault that can lead to destruction of the catalytic converter - see page 190. Consult a workshop immediately. We recommend that you consult a Vauxhall Authorised Repairer.

Sorry if I sound blunt, but it was foolish to drive with this light (or any other warning light for that matter) for that amount of miles. What if it happened to be the low oil pressure light? As it is, who knows what damage might have been done to the catalytic converter?

You need to get any fault codes read out NOW!
99 1.8 Ignition light on intermittently whilst dri - SpamCan61 {P}
Like DD says, getting the codes read would elminate most of the guesswork. It is interesting that the ECU is flagging emissions related issues, but the car passed the MOT. SWMBO's Zafira did have a similar problem last year, emsiions light started coming on at random, that turned out to be one of the lambda sensors on the way out, about 100 quid to replace.
99 1.8 Ignition light on intermittently whilst dri - jenni_pitt
Thanks for your answers. The light does not flash on, it is on constantly for just over a minute.

With regards to the emissions, it comfortably passed the fast idle and natural idle test on the MOT on August 14th. The garage were told about the light, but could offer no explanation.

The light does not appear when I am driving, only when my husband is driving. Do you think this needs attention as we are due to take this car to Devon a week on Saturday for a weeks holiday?

99 1.8 Ignition light on intermittently whilst dri - SpamCan61 {P}
I'm probably not the best person to advise, I ran my previous Omega for about 3000 miles in 'limp home' mode...

I suppose the 'witty' answer is to go,but don't let hubby drive.

Seriously I'd get the codes read - either by an auto electrician or the 'paperclip trick' and see what the faults are. It might be a false alarm or something intermittant, if you go for it make sure you've got breakdown cover!

edit :thinking abitmore,does hubby tend todrive the car harder ( higher revs) than you, or vice versa? Maybe a problem that only appears at briefly at higher revs.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 20/08/2009 at 22:34