Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - oilrag
Here is a pic of the engine in our 7.5 yrs old Punto 1.9D.

www.oilrag.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/engine.jpg

Yesterday did all the gaskets on the top cover to stop a slight oil leak - also blocked off the EGR valve with a gasket cut from a Gunk can. (more on that later)

Then ran it down to Meadowhall and back and changed the oil and filter - using Shell Rimula R4.

I`ve normally done 3,000 oil changes (filthy old IDI engine) which are half service interval and the cams and cambox were clean (black oil accepted) no sludge or cam surface wear, at 56,000 miles

It`s occurred to me that with the EGR system no longer loading the oil with soot from the exhaust - that I might let the engine run to 5,000 miles or so on the oil.

If there`s interest in this thread I will write later about the EGR blanking.

Edited by oilrag on 17/08/2009 at 19:54

Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - theterranaut
That bay and engine are a credit to you, OR.
Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - Spospe
oilrag

Blanking off EGR valves is a common thing to do with Transits, especially those using the old 2.5 DI engine. I had a Tranny with said engine and after about 12,000 miles it started to smoke, blocking off the EGR vacuum pipes (easier than making a blanking plate) stopped the smoking and I ran the vehicle for another 68,000 miles without any problem.

Whether killing the EGR affects oil quality, I do not know, but it very definitely stopped the inlet manifold from getting clogged up with oily soot and the engine ran better for doing it.
Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - gordonbennet
I've answered probably poorly your tech thread by the way.

I'm sure Rimula is fairly cheap and knowing how Lady Oilrag uses this fine motor for the good works, i'd be carrying on the way you have been Oily.

Goodness knows just how many starts the car makes in a week, and i imagine most of the running is with a luke warm engine, i think the car deserves that fresh oil every 3K.

Don't be swayed from the one true path old chap, there's only a few of us left that overservice our cars, can't see you going to the dark side....plus it upsets one or two that we dare differ from the handbook (the font of all knowledge almost a bible).

A pic and description of the offending valve and it's grimy innards would be very welcome, not forgetting to include the Gunk can that made the ultimate sacrifice..;)

As i said elsewhere, i need to learn a bit about these EGR thingys, bound to have one of them for some unknown reason on the Toyo.
Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - Number_Cruncher
My word! 5k oil changes? I had no idea Monte Carlo was in West Yorkshire!

Disabling EGR, purely for test purposes of course, is generally a good thing. Apart from engine management problems with newer diesels with engine management, I haven't seen an engine run worse for not having EGR.

The mod which I think takes it a step too far is diverting the crankcase breather from the inlet. The crankcase oil mist is the only lubrication that the normally aspirated diesel inlet valve seat gets if the stem seals are still any good.

Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - mike hannon
Dang! And I thought my engine was clean.
Don't let that French lot get hold of it though...
Thanks guys,

GB, you were spot on in the tech thread - but who would have suspected all that red compound under there?

NC & GB,
Yes, I`ve left the breather and that is clear.

I did the blanking to try to get rid of a slight judder in (typically 4th) at low engine speeds. It was very slight - but there from new. Everyone with these engines seems to report it and yet with the EGR blanked its gone.

So if I clean or fit a new EGR valve and put the system back to `as new` the slight hesitation will be back!

Dilemma... well maybe not, it doesn`t put the spanner lights on although it may have thrown a code.

I will do a read later but - if it runs better..

"Don't let that French lot get hold of it though... "

I was going to book it into Enteratu`s place for an oil change Mike, but i think the French Maids doing the oil changes have left.. or were er cough.. hidden.
Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - Number_Cruncher
>>Dilemma...

Well, quite.

I've been long dithering over whether I should end the trial period where both SWMBO's Astra and my W124 have their blocked EGRs returned to normal function.......

Not quite yet I think.

Quite, NC ;-)

GB, Sorry no pic of the EGR pipe. I was up to my ears in oil and soot at that stage - it was down to half it`s normal bore due to what looked like oil shale..

Mind you, as you say that motors been chugging around cold for all of those 7.5 years.

Yes, I will stick to the 3,000 changes - it only needs £22 for 4.5 litres of Rimula and a `Fiat` filter at around £8

Edited by oilrag on 17/08/2009 at 22:15

Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - Kevin
Is that rust just below the blue filler cap??

And that bonnet seal in front of the bulkhead is definitely grubby ;-0

You must go through a load of toothbrushes keeping it like that oilrag.

Kevin...
Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - alfatrike
the brake fluid tank looks filthy!
Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - MikeTorque
Complements to the Chef for a wonderfully turned out engine.
I keep it like that by washing the entire bay with washing up liquid in a bucket of hot water, using an old sponge. I then hose it off with a low pressure hose - let it dry and then spray the whole bay with WD40.
I then wipe off the hoses with a touch of de-greaser.

In summer I don`t clean the engines - in winter this engine is cleaned and re protected with WD40 every couple of months.

Same with the Mulltijet in the van, although I`m a bit more thorough with that.

I`m totally indifferent to external body paint and neither car is polished. For me, it`s all about the engines and under body protection.

And the oil..the OIL the OIL ...ooiiil...ga ga...... ;-)
Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - madf
Soot in oil?

Every diesel without EGR I have had darkened its oil within 300 miles of an oil change.
Yaris (with EGR) takes 1,0000 miles to change colour.

It's all about engine design and tolerances imo and nowt with EGR valves.
Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - Collos25
So we arn't bothered about the air we breath,if you maintain a EGR system properly then it will give no trouble but people don't and look for short cuts one also assumes come the MOT it will be put back to normal for a day..
Andy, There`s an issue with these engines when they are brand new - returning it to that state with a new EGR valve would have the problem back. The from new hesitation at low revs in 4th from new is now gone.
I have a conscience about the environment. but what are you supposed to do in a situation like this where it seems the manufacturer has not got it right from new. All the 1.9d`s seem like this and it`s been well discussed on FF.

Drax and other power stations are putting it out alongside the little Punto as it crawls along the M62 - and having been in HK with the smog drifting in from China ---- ;-)

(I take your point though)

MF, there are lots of articles about soot loading of engine oil due to EGR, on the web.

This old design indirect injection engine (typical of its class, I would say) has always put out visible black smoke from new. It`s within limits and passes MOT no problems, but all that soot going back through the inlet tracts on all of its dozens of short cold runs every day...

I`m amazed that these old engines (and the oil) can take it really - the soot loading I mean.

Our Common Rail engine in the other car must take only a tiny fraction of the soot that the 1.9D puts into it`s cylinders - i have no concerns on EGR and soot loading with these engines.

Sorry to pop this back up Guys.

But, before this thread disappears into the fossil record, does anyone on the Tech/Engineering side have any views or experience on soot loading of engine oil on the old indirect injection diesel engines due to EGR. In general that is - not specifically regarding the Fiat.

I know it`s on the web - but I`m interested in what our own `group` here have found.

Cheers!
Soot in the oil - via the EGR valve your views? - Spospe
oilrag

This is not answering your question, but commenting on an earlier query.

The EGR and its action is not part of the MOT (which only measures smoke), so having a blanked-off EGR will not affect the test, in fact it may well help a failing engine pass (because there could well be less smoke in the exhaust).
Thanks for that, Spospe, I was thinking about the effect..