Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - RB
Having just bought a nice newish car which has a built-in computer that amongst other things, tells me the MPG of a trip, I was just wondering how accurate these things are?

I haven't got around to doing a real comparison to the old-fashioned way yet, so the thought occurred to me that knowing how computer thingies can sometimes get over excited, could this one too?

So far it is indicating what was advertised for the car on average, but has anyone tried comparing?

Just a thought.

Tar.

Richard
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Steve S
My experience of these is that the mpg overall works out about right. But the computer reacts to changes like sudden acceleration or hill climbs, so in short bursts it can appear to plummet and then recover.
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - borasport20
Having just bought a nice newish car which has a built-in
computer that amongst other things, tells me the MPG of a
trip, I was just wondering how accurate these things are?
I haven't got around to doing a real comparison to the
old-fashioned way yet, so the thought occurred to me that knowing
how computer thingies can sometimes get over excited, could this one
too?
So far it is indicating what was advertised for the car
on average, but has anyone tried comparing?
Just a thought.
Tar.
Richard

I've been monitoring mine for the past three or four months and i'd be inclined to say that it is fairly accurate - i'll post some more detail when i get home (cleared everything out of the car this morning, including my records)

when you've got tired of driving ...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - JohnM{P}
Comparing brim to brim figures with trip computer average over the same distance, VW Passat and Golf trip computers were approx
5% optomistic, LagunaII is 10% optomistic...
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Dynamic Dave
You don't mention the car you've bought, but the multi function trip computer on my Vectra compares fairly accurately as with working it out the old fashioned way.
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - malcolm
Wifes Honda Jazz was within half a mile brim to brim at 56mpg but I have only checked it the once.
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - borasport20
well now i've got home and checked the figures, my calculations say i've averaged 31.53 mpg for the past 2600 miles, and the car says i've averaged 32.5 for the past 630 miles, so it cant be that inaccurate !

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Trip computers/MPG calcs - Thanks - RB
Thanks for the info.

Oh yes, the car is a SEAT Toledo TDi so the comments from the VW people are very interesting.

RB
Trip computers/MPG calcs - Thanks - L'escargot
I can't believe that mine (Focus) can be very accurate. Although it displays tenths of an mpg, the reading is invariably something point two or something point seven. What I find amusing is watching the number of miles left increasing. Presumably it means that at that time I am driving more economically than the current average mpg figure.
Trip computers/MPG calcs - Thanks - borasport20
i double checked on the way in to work this morning -

my calculated average is 31.53, the cars calculated average is 31.6 - 'good enough for government work' as they say

of course, you may find somethings that depress you - like the fact i average 33/35 mpg on the way home, or on the way in to work in the school holidays, but struggle to reach 29 mpg on the way in when two specific schools are open !
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - PB
If it's a US built Mercedes ML like mine, the answer is inaccurate by 20%, as it measures in US gallons. I switched it to l/100km and did the mental arithmetic once, very pleased to find I was getting more than 16mpg!

MPG average gauges are all very interesting, but what are you going to do if you don't like the number? Walk? The range remaining figure is a reasonable guide to plan fill-ups though.
Many years spent in BMW's with the econometer has programmed my right foot into driving economically. The accuracy doesn't matter, just the direction the needle moves.
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Richard Hall
A friend once gave me a lift in his Volvo 850. As we left the motorway, the car lost power, spluttered and died. 'That shouldn't have happened,' said my friend. 'According to the trip computer, I've still got another three miles range left...'

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Mike H
That rings some bells. I had a Saab 2.3 Turbo & was driving to Austria along a french motorway when it died, despite showing 30 miles left on the trip. It's apparently illegal to break down on french motorways through lack of petrol. I managed to get a lift to the next service area - which was unfortunately on the other carriageway......luckily not much traffic around! After vaulting a few safety barriers, filled up a can & then had to cadge a lift back - which, of course, meant vaulting a few safety barriers etc. Broke a few rules that day! Took the left ear some time to recover from the choice comments made by SWMBO!
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Flat in Fifth
It must be something about Volvo drivers. Similar tale with a V70 driver, he was taking a group of us back to the airport, late as usual. Filled the tank with rather bad grace after we insisted as the computer still showed only 15 km left to go.

A week later he actually did run out taking someone else to the airport. Fortunately going quickly enough to be able to coast to the next filling station. More jam than Hartleys.
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Cyd
On my Rover 827 I found the computer was spot on over a long motorway trip (steady speeds), but would become about 2mpg optomistic on a fast & furious B road trip between my place and my brothers (200 miles round trip). I can only assume the sampling rate wasn't sufficiently fast to "read" all the fuel being poured in just at the moment I floored it (a frequent occurance on this trip).
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Dave - Northampton

My 2006 Ford S-Max (1.8 diesel) trip computer says 53 mpg but my brim-to-brim calculation (353 miles on 42 litres) only works out to 38 mpg. That's only 72% of what the trip computer reckons. Could this discrepancy indicate a problem? If so, what?

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - badbusdriver

My 2006 Ford S-Max (1.8 diesel) trip computer says 53 mpg but my brim-to-brim calculation (353 miles on 42 litres) only works out to 38 mpg. That's only 72% of what the trip computer reckons. Could this discrepancy indicate a problem? If so, what?

Think you'd be better starting a new thread rather than ressurecting a 16yr old one, but hey ho!.

38mpg is not great, but it isn't that bad either. The S-Max is a big old and heavy bus for a 1.8 diesel, so if you find its performance frustrating you are more likely to be driving it hard. In that case, your economy sounds reasonable, especially if a lot of town driving is involved. If you drive gently at or below the speed limit, it does seem a little low. But not to the extent of worrying about it if the car drives fine otherwise. Look at websites, including this one where owners review their own car including the actual mpg they get.

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - FP

I've been pleasantly surprised by the average fuel read-out on my Mazda CX-5. I calculate brim-to-brim mpg every time I fill and 99% of the time the car is a bit pessimistic.

An example from today: car says 40.7 mpg, calculation says 41.1 mpg.

(In case anyone is wondering, I do get substantially more on long journeys, and in warm weather.)

Edited by FP on 03/01/2019 at 15:10

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - concrete

Most of these gadgets are simply a guide, some more accurate than others. My brim to brim figures are within a close margin of the computer figures. Even if the computer goes 'walkabout' and fuel gauge packs up, I still have a reasonable idea of fuel consumption and do not rely entirely on electronics.

Cheers Concrete

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Andrew-T

Most of these gadgets are simply a guide, some more accurate than others.

I think they are remarkably accurate, as they don't 'know' how much fuel you have added, they just integrate what goes through the injectors many times per second. My Pug also calculates pretty close to the figures I get with pencil and paper.

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Engineer Andy

Bear in mind that the trip computer could be displaying any one of three figures for the mpg:

1. The current mpg, dependent on what level of fuel the car is using as its being displayed, or;
  2. The mpg since the last system reset (whether manually done or if the battery was removed), or;
  3. The mpg since the last fill-up. This would likely be the least accurate (if possible), as most cars cannot accurately record the amount of fuel deposited into the tank via the pump, and only have a low level warning. Most cars systems work by a fuel flow meter only.

I suspect you're looking at the second figure. At least your car's trip computer reads in mpg - mine can only do so in l/100 km or l/100 miles, though it can show both the first and second types in those odd units.

For a car of your size and engine, 38mpg at this time of the year is perfectly reasonable.

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Leif
The car has no,need to know the amount of fuel put in, all it needs to know is when it was refuelled, the distance travelled, and the fuel used. I presume there is some form of flow meter, which naturally has a degree of error, to measure fuel use.
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - FP

"I presume there is some form of flow meter..."

I believe that what is measured is the amount of CO2 the engine produces, which relates to the amount of hydrocarbons (fuel) consumed.

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - RT

"I presume there is some form of flow meter..."

I believe that what is measured is the amount of CO2 the engine produces, which relates to the amount of hydrocarbons (fuel) consumed.

I think it computes the amount of fuel used from the injection timing signals

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Andrew-T

I'd love to know how you think that might work (anywhere near accurately) in practice, especially for a diesel ?

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - Hugh Watt

They're not the only options, Andy - I get mesmerised by the Android app for my Peugeot, which "bluetooths" itself and gives an MPG readout for each journey (plus time taken, distance, locations). Haven't checked the running average(s) myself yet, brim to brim, but the figures seems plausible so far.

The computed figure on my old Saab 9-3 was in fact extremely accurate as a running average (since last reset, I think), when empirically monitored by the tankful.

I was only stating the options that the trip computer was actually showing at the time, not what a driver has for any car.

I was only stating the options that the trip computer was actually showing at the time, not what a driver has for any car.

Yes, but I believe your reasoning for the calculation of the third one was incorrect. My car allows me to select current mpg, mpg since last refill and mpg long term. The Citroen I am borrowing seems to have current mpg, and average mpg, not that it’s easy to tell as the beast is far from intuitive.

How does it know how much you filled up with or if you have done at all? It'll only have a fuel flow meter on the tank outlet side, and (as many have shown) isn't generally that accurate.

My car has the same set up as your Citroen. I must admit it would be great if the car did have extra sensors that could determine the fuel economy between fill-ups.

Anyhoo - the brim-to-brim method is still the most accurate, and I suppose the debate then turns to whether we should go by the odometer or the satnav for distance. That's a debate for another day (and probably thread, and probably has already been covered here somewhere).

My 2018 VW Polo usually overestimates mpg by 2-3 mpg. At the moment I average about 61 mpg whereas the console says about 64 mpg since the last refuel. It’s consistently out, so that makes it accurate enough for me to know fairly well the real mpg. The best I’ve had was over 80 mpg for a 41 mile journey according to the computer, it’s possible some bigger errors crept in then.
Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - skidpan

I believe that what is measured is the amount of CO2 the engine produces, which relates to the amount of hydrocarbons (fuel) consumed

That is how the official test used to be carried out, no idea what the new test involves. The CO2 was weighed after the various cycles which is the figure quoted by the manufacturer. A cunning formula then converts the figure to mpg.

The dash display info is taken from the ecu (would guess its based on the length and number of injection pulses) and is an estimate at best. Some are better estimates than others.

Trip computers/MPG calcs - how accurate? - RT

I believe that what is measured is the amount of CO2 the engine produces, which relates to the amount of hydrocarbons (fuel) consumed

That is how the official test used to be carried out, no idea what the new test involves. The CO2 was weighed after the various cycles which is the figure quoted by the manufacturer. A cunning formula then converts the figure to mpg.

The dash display info is taken from the ecu (would guess its based on the length and number of injection pulses) and is an estimate at best. Some are better estimates than others.

In the early days, they measured the fuel used during the test and calculated the CO2 from an average efficiency, with different factors for petrol and diesel.