One month old exhaust rusting. Is this normal? - Rattle
I knew something wasn't right as it was so noisy and I made a thread at the time about it. In the past couple of days I have noticed a load of rust on my new exhaust and bumber and its getting noiser.

Also note the rust on my bumber.

There is never any water which comes out the back and I took this picture with the engine running to show that there is no problem with my emissions. I've used no oil or water in the 1500 miles I have had the car.

What has caused this? I suspect it must be rain water hitting it and then rust deposits landing on my plastic bumber. Do I have any comeback now?

The exhaust is exactly 1 month and 700 miles old. There is also quite a bit of play in the backbox now. E.g it wobbles a lot.

What would you do? Write off the money and just get a Bosil fitted or ask for a back box which actually meats the legal requirements of the roads or a refund?

tinyurl.com/kpqebt

{misleading title changed}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/08/2009 at 17:07

New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - oilrag
I would just ignore it Rattle - It`s the result of water in the exhaust from short runs.
New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - KB.
I offered my personal advice to you at the time of the earlier thread.....along the lines of....I bought a noisy box, cut my losses & got shot of it and bought Bosal ( spelt B O S AL ) and that was 5 or 6 yrs ago. Others, I recall, mentioned Bosal too. But no-one takes any notice of what I say so why should you be any different? But the advice to leave it as it's only water is as good as any - it'll get covered in soot in time and you'll forget about it - unless it gets noisier still, in which case you might not.

Edited by KB. on 07/08/2009 at 21:46

New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - Rattle
BK No I was thinking just that, didn't remember it was you but knew it happened to somebody. I was thinking before I do just get shot, cut my losses and get a Bosal. In fact I have already learnt my lesson for the future :).

I doubt it will even cost that much if I but it myself and pay an indie £20 fitting.

I am getting my brakes bled tomorrow so I will ask for an opinion then, its the loudness which annoys me. If I change gear at 3000rpm it sounds like I am a boy racer.

Edited by Rattle on 07/08/2009 at 21:48

New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - freddy1
buy a nice little chrone exaust pipe cover from edited Halfords tommorrow !

and BECOME a boy racer

presume you meant Halfords, and not the slang name for it?

Edited by Webmaster on 08/08/2009 at 04:47

New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - David Horn
Normal. Don't forget that water is the result of combustion, and that the water is acidic anyway from the CO2, so rust is a given. Buy a shiny stainless steel end if you don't like it.
Just never seen it on any other car before. I do short journeys but they are usualy around 1-6 miles. The problem is as I deliver a lot of computers my engine probably gets started around 6 times a day so there is a lot of short journeys inbetween the longer ones.
New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - FotheringtonThomas
Bung some two-stroke oil in your fuel (96:1), it'll run smoother, less wear, and it'll oil up the zorst pipe and stop it rusting so much. Bargain!

P.S. It's probably got a loose clamp.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 07/08/2009 at 22:48

New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - bathtub tom
It's an exhaust Rattle, they're designed to rust. It doesn't matter.

If you want to spend a fortune, you can have a stainless system fitted, but the guys that do it will be laughing all the way to the bank, as it'll probably cost more than you paid for the Rattlemobile.

I bet it outlasts the rest of the car, especially if you take it to Anglesey every now and then!
New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - Lygonos
It's an exhaust Rattle, they're designed to rust. It doesn't matter <<

+1.

New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - Pugugly
It's an exhaust Rattle, they're designed to rust. It doesn't matter

+2

Probably needs a few more long runs as well.
New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - moonshine {P}
It's an exhaust Rattle they're designed to rust. It doesn't matter

+3

In what way has it 'failed'?

All exhausts move around, they are mounted on rubber mounts to allow movement. Have you checked it for leaks?
New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - Mick Snutz
My (4 month old)new tail box wobbles and knocks too. The fitter simply said come back in and we'll tweak the bungs and clamps. I can't be bothered as it only knocks going over speed bumps or really large pot holes.

Simples.

I suggest Rattle you also give your car an occasional Italian tune-up and blast its cobwebs away. 1.6 miles a day ain't good for an engine.
New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - Halmer
Shouldn't that be approx 23 miles per day not 1.6?
New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - b308
"several short journeys of 1-(to?)6 miles perday"... yep think you are right, H...

I'm with the others... its normal!!!

As for spending a lot of money on an exhaust on a car worth a few hundred quid? Madness!
New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - Number_Cruncher
+4

It's surface rust, and is absolutely normal. The exhaust hasn't failed in any way at all.

As has been stated, water in the form of steam is an absolutely normal byproduct of burning any fossil fuel. This steam condenses in the cooler parts at the rear of the exhaust, and, as ordinary exhausts are made from steel which rusts what you see is perfectly normal.

Rattle - you're a bit over sensitive about these matters and all this needless worry won't be doing you any good.

>>to show that there is no problem with my emissions.

You can't see emissions unless you are superhuman and can detect carbon monoxide and oxides of Nitrogen by sight alone.

You can see smoke, and in extreme cases, you can see unburnt hydrocarbons, but, neither of these will rot your exhaust.

New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - whoopwhoop
+5

Why the dramatic headline grabbing "New exhaust failed after 1 month" title? In what way has it failed?

Would a better title have been "New exhaust - is this normal?", the response to which is clearly a "yes it's perfectly normal".

Or maybe even better, stop worrying about stuff that isn't broken! :-)
You can't see emissions unless you are superhuman and can detect carbon monoxide and oxides
of Nitrogen by sight alone.

Sorry NC, for once you are completely wrong. Rattle is IT savy and knows that all you need to do for a full gas analysis from the photo is to get hold of the apropriate military grade analysis software and then 'enhance' the image several times down the the molecular level where all you need to do is count 100 molecules, note which type they are (carbon, CO, CO2, NOX, N O2, etc) and then work out the percentages.

I've seen it done on CSI and crap American films, so it must be true...

:)
New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - bell boy
just had to chuck my co machine as it started making strange whirring noises
wonder if rattle could do an emmisions test for me by putting his lips round the exhaust and reading the data via his nose as i take the revs up to 2900 for 30 seconds?

+6
What I meant was it is only 2000 miles since it passed the MOT with flying colours that was with probably a failing MAF. The engine does run perfectly now I really would be quite amazed if it failed the emisions. Everything is so tightly controled with hardly any tolerences.

I am just leaving the back box for now, if it has problems with the MOT in March I will change it then.

Its also worth a bit more than a few hundered quid round here. There is a massive market for older small cars here especialy with PAS.
Sounds like a good plan Rattle.

+1 that there's always demand for small cars, even more so these days with the increased fuel and VED costs.
Exactly and as a bonus I have all the extras such as electric windows, mirrors, PAS, cd player, central locking etc. 65bhp and group 3 insurance too which makes it quite a rare car in that respect oh and 45-50 mpg.

I will admit its not the nicest car in the world to drive, the MK4 Fiesta is much nicer but I trust it and feel safe in it, which is a lot more than can be said for my old car!

I am currently in the middle of expanding my business and getting a workshop so I can't really afford to spend any more on things that don't strictly need doing atm. I will need to replace that 2.5-3mm tyre in a couple of months but hopefully thats it.

New exhaust failed after 1 month - Pic included. - zookeeper
rattle = care in the community..soldier on
One month old exhaust rusting. Is this normal? - L'escargot
In the past couple of days I have noticed a
load of rust on my new exhaust and bumber and its getting noiser.
Also note the rust on my bumber.

What a bumber! Serves you right for not buying a genuine replacement exhaust.