How much do you spend a month for a car? - Boss Hog
Just wondering waht most peole have to pay in total for their car per month?

If we dont include fuel which is very subjective.

Exclude company cars as not relevant.

What make and model and how old, was it bought new or used and for how much?

Include loan cost per month but state over how many years. Include maintenance, insurance and tax.

I worked out the average is about £375 a month. Really depends on the loan amount if you have one.

Actually might be beast to seperate the two.
How much do you spend a month for a car? - a900ss
This is a VERY broad question.

I spend nothing per month on my car - no loan as the car was £1000. Of couse I do pay for road tax (£??) and insurance (£20/month). Maintenance I do myself so lets say £10 plus a further £10/month for tyres. Total of about £50-£60 month excluding fuel and depreciation, which is minimal.

2000 - W plate Saab 93 Turbo and I hope to sell it on for very close to what I paid for it when the time comes to sell it.

Edited by a900ss on 07/08/2009 at 14:19

How much do you spend a month for a car? - zookeeper
petrol 60 ltrs per month

insurance £11.00 per month

road tax £ 10 per month

tyres 2 fronts for £50 2 years ago

but im still waiting for the back box to go bang so looking at £75 soon
How much do you spend a month for a car? - bell boy
3/6 in a bad month
How much do you spend a month for a car? - Boss Hog
I guess I wondering what people in general pay, as it seems to me with the cost of loan repayments and cars out of warranty it can get fairly expensive.

If you paid off any finance and car is still in reasonable nick your ok but keep it too long and its starts to cost more again.
How much do you spend a month for a car? - Statistical outlier
Before I'd paid off the finance:

£438 a month for finance
£40 insurance
£250 diesel
£35 servicing
£17 tyres

I'm not going to add that up because that's quite a lot. It's much better now the finance has gone away, but I guess that's the problem with fairly high mileage - 25k a year. I did work out at one point that the car was costing me 33p a mile (factoring finance costs but ignoring the value of the car).
How much do you spend a month for a car? - barney100
There are many variants to be taken into consideration and maybe how much a year rather than a month would givea clearer picture.
For instance,
Deopsit and repayments...take into account loss of interest on deposit or if cash paid interest on that.
Mot if needed,
Tax,
Insurance,
Fuel,
Al lrepairs and servicing,
Depeciation,
How much do you spend a month for a car? - Marc4Six
BMW 330Ci 53 plate bought at 4 years old

Servicing £25/month
Insurance £25/month
Tax £18/month
Tyres £20/month
Petrol £120/month

So £208/month without depreciation

Depreciation? No finance, so lets say for example bought for £15000, sold at 10 years old for £3500, depreciation of £11500 over 6 years or £160 a month, not too bad really!
How much do you spend a month for a car? - Rattle
So far:-

Car cost me £1150 cash
Insurance £50 a month
Repairs/servicing/tyres so far has been £70 a month but I expect that figure to drop sharply.
Petrol - £20-£30 a month - thanks to 45-50mpg.

I do between 200 and 450 miles a month depending on jobs.
How much do you spend a month for a car? - martint123
1990 mx5

Insurance £9.50 a month.
Tyres £1.66 a month (4 wheels with new tyres £80 6 years ago)
Maintenance £4 a month
MOT £4 a month.
Tax £15.83 a month.

Total £35 a month
How much do you spend a month for a car? - Alby Back
I've never borrowed momey to buy a car. I know some people do. I put money away to fund the next one in due course. Used to earn something called interest in the old days. Still feels better to me not to buy something which depreciates on tick.
How much do you spend a month for a car? - AshT
1993 Espace

Bought for ~£500 cash
Insurance - just over £20 a month
Tax - £16 a month
Diesel - prior to losing my job around £180 a month, now less than £40 a month
Repairs & servicing- had been less than £20 a month, recent MOT has more than doubled that (I'm still in shock)

On the plus side I don't think depreciation is much of an issue.

We also have a Pug 306, but that's been sat in the garage on a SORN since I was given news of redundancy - considering selling but if / when I get a new job I'll be using it as a work hack.
How much do you spend a month for a car? - Blue {P}
Ford Mondeo V6

Bought for £2,500 and later retro-fitted with LPG at a cost of £1,650.

Running costs are about £80 per month for maintenance (inc. tyres, tax and routine servicing)

Fuel costs are about £140 per month butcan vary enormously depending on what I get up to that month.

I've no idea what it's actually worth but what naively hope for about £2K to sell to an enthusiast as mine is in truly exceptional condition for it's age (I know everyone thinks that about their car but in my case it's true!) When it comes to sale time it will go on Pistonheads and the MEG site. I factor on about £2K depreciation in 2 years.