1982/3 Green paper driving licence - Tony.62
I need to find out what the towing restrictions were for the old A class license with 7500kg entitlement or C1 C1+E. This licence was the green one before the 1990 Euro licence came in. Thanks

Edited by rtj70 on 07/08/2009 at 12:23

1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - bell boy
IS IT THE NEW THING TO USE CAPITALS THIS MONTH?
TURN YOUR HEARING AID UP GRANDAD
OH AND WELCOME

look to the left on your keyboardy thing for an unused button that says cap locks,its a button to turn CAPITAL LETTERS OFF
1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - Tony.62
not a grandad yet and forgot i had the caps on. anyway can you answer my question, it,s very important,legal matter.
1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - bell boy
no i cant
if its for case law you need to refer to croners
this was always the best way to fight your corner back then
thanks anyway,
1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - jbif
not a grandad yet and forgot i had the caps on. >>

using a braille keyboard?
i will use any kind of keyboard,if it will get me the answer
1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - deepwith
Tony, looks as though one or two on the forum have had a mellow evening ;-)

This may help, if not, someone else will be along with a better answer soon.

tinyurl.com/mf9vvy
1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - rtj70
It is not the licence that had towing restrictions it is the driver :-) Your entitlement is on your licence. If you have a newer licence it will now be on that now.

Now if you believe your current licence shows the wrong limit (you passed your test when the limit was higher) then you need to contact the DVLA. They will be able to look at your old licence as they will have a copy (or should) on microfiche.

Best of luck. And glad you stopped SHOUTING.
1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - rtj70
Looking at the link provided above it says:

"All car drivers who passed their test on or before
31st December 1997 retain their existing
entitlement to tow trailers until their licence
expires. This means they are generally entitled to
drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25
tonnes maximum authorised mass. They also
have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer
over 750kgs maximum authorised mass."

The question is if you surrender a licence when changing address or getting a photo one... is that an expired licence?
1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - brum
My UK license says on the back

(section)3. Licence Categories

C1 Lorries between 3500kg and 7500kg

C Lorries over 3500kg with any number of axles can tow a single axis trailer up to 5000kg or any other trailer up to 750kg

C1 + E Lorries between 3500kg and 7500kg towing a trailer over 750kg - total weight not more than 8250kg

C + E Articulated lorries or large lorries over 3500kg towing a single axle trailer over 5000kg or any other trailer over 750kg.

Edited by brum on 06/08/2009 at 01:54

thankyou,brum if this is the license ,i asked about,then i just got mixed up between the weights for the c class and the c1 thanks anyway but does not get me out of trouble. but i have just looked at 1990 euro model and it has next to the c1 cat a green star,and under restrictions 1 to 5,it denotes the star, as includes entitlement to couple a trailer whose maximum authorised mass does not exceed 750kg or any single axle trailer.now how do you define the word any, i would say that it means all single axle trailers regardless of weight, but i could be wrong? anyway thanks to everyone on the forum who took the trouble to reply,and sorry about the SHOUTING. ps just a thought but do you think that this star enhancement would still be valid,even though i now have the photo license.
thankyou for this link ,but have already seen this,but there is no mention of the star which was a enhancement,so maybe they have revoked this entitlement for everybody now ,unless you still retain the license showing it ,like the one i am looking at unfortunatly,it,s not mine.
1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - tobyjug
What exactly is the rule about typing using upper case only and who thought of it first?

Why do some people find it so offensive?
1982/3 GREEN PAPER DRIVING LICENSE - maz64
Why do some people find it so offensive?

Because it's usually used for emphasis eg. "do NOT do that", so "DO NOT DO THAT" implies lot's of emphasis, or 'shouting'.

EDIT and generally people don't like being shouted at

Edited by Focus {P} on 06/08/2009 at 10:38

towing restrictions - Tony.62
does anybody have uk green paper license pre 1985,and if so could they please tell me what the towing restrictions were on the c1. also did it have the green star ,which denotes,any single axle trailer.thankyou for any info on this question.
towing restrictions - the swiss tony
as far as I know, if you held a C1 before 1st jan 1997, you automatically got towing entitlement to 8.25 tonnes MAM. as well as entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.
towing restrictions - brum
Mine says...

C1 + E Lorries between 3500kg and 7500kg towing a trailer over 750kg - total weight not more than 8250kg

I have restriction "7" which is "less than 8250kg"

Cant see any green star - reference to single axis trailer is under group C (lorries) and C+E (artic/heavy lorries + trailer) which I dont have entitlement.

Edited by brum on 06/08/2009 at 02:04

which license is it ,i.e pre 85,90 or post 90 . if its pre 85 it must not have been returned to dvla for any reason. thanks for the info.
towing restrictions - brum
thinking about it, mine must be a post 90 model due to address change.
thanks for info,but it has to be the info from a class license dated approx 1982 original no changes of address or upgrading ,removal of points
towing restrictions - rtj70
I have merged your new thread with your original - why you needed to start a new one I do not know.

I would think you just need to look at your licence to see what you're allowed to tow. If you no longer have such an old licence then maybe you lost the entitlement you hope you still have.

The obvious answer is to ask the DVLA the question about your entitlements.
towing restrictions - bell boy
and to anyone else who sends their grandfather rights paper licence to the dvla ,make sure you totally photocopy it before you do because the dvla are renowned for making errors here
unfortunately
me? im keeping mine -so will have to go out of this house with me boots on
i have contacted the dvla , but they say there records start from 1990,which is when they changed some of the towing laws,so i would have to prove it was on my license,but like have said in my reply to brum its probabley me getting mixed up .
towing restrictions - bell boy
i still think a croners book for your year would provide the answer
see if you can borrow one from a proper library if you still have one in your town/city/country
towing restrictions - drbe
Pedant mode on//

Tony, what you have is a licenCe - not a licenSe.

Licence is the noun, license is the verb.
towing restrictions - rtj70
drbe, you'll cause no end of problems not turning your pedant mode off ;-)

I did correct some of his spelling (I think) when I "turned off" all the capitals. But he then started another thread.

To Tony.62, your entitlement is on your current licence. You might think it is wrong (and perhaps it is) but your current entitlement is on your licence. And proving you had something else prior to 1982 will be difficult unless you have a copy of your licence.

At least they take a copy of everything onto microfiche now so errors can be checked (it is common for motor cycle entitlement to be missed off by some on switching to photocard licences).
towing restrictions - datostar
thanks for info but it has to be the info from a class license dated
approx 1982 original no changes of address or upgrading removal of points

Mine was issued 01/12/78 for A,B.C1,D1,B+E,C1+E,D1+E,F,K,L,N,P
C1+E has Note 7 - less than 8250kg & relates to lorries between 3500kg and 7500kg towing a trailer over 750kg - total weight not more than 8250kg
towing restrictions - madf
My green licence issued 1977 (!) says I am entitled to drive A and E groups..
A= any motor vehicle except those In X - Road roller etc.

E= moped.

No mention of towing. guess the licence after 1977.

towing restrictions - Stuartli
I acquired my first green driving licence in July 1964. It was superseded in July 1976 (I have no idea why it was replaced) and is still valid until next year.

It offers the same entitlements as per madf's posting, but it states in the definitions for A that it doesn't include a "motor cycle or agricultural tractor constructed or adapted to carry passengers or to carry or haul a load, but which is not a large passenger vehicle or a goods vehicle.

"Large passenger vehcile means a motor vehicle constructed or adapted to carry more than nine persons, including the driver.

"Goods vehicle means a motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle or agricultural tractor, constructed or adapted to carry or haul a load and with a maximum weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes.

""Maximum weight' means the maximum permitted weight of the vehicle when fully laden; it includes the weight of any trailer or semi-trailer."
towing restrictions - madf
Stuart
"I acquired my first green driving licence in July 1964. It was superseded in July 1976 (I have no idea why it was replaced) and is still valid until next year."

I could have added:
"I acquired my first green driving licence in July 1965. It was superseded in July 1977 (I have no idea why it was replaced) and is still valid until 2017."

Something to do with time I suspect! Or your age.. (Are you 70 in 2010?)

towing restrictions - Stuartli
>>(Are you 70 in 2010?>>

God willing...:-)