Siezed PAS pump (Mondeo) - blank
Good morning!
My Mondeo blotted its copy book yesterday on the way home from work. A strange clicky clacky noise from under the bonnet, varying with engine revs, then smoke, turned out to be the power steering pump siezed solid - the smoke was from the drive belt slipping.

Got the AA to take the car to my local garage, who I think I trust.

Has anyone else experienced this problem (I don't see it listed in the C-B-C-B listing)?
What financial damage should I expect for the replacement?
Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks
Andy
btw, the car is a 1999 1.6 with 45k miles.
Siezed PAS pump (Mondeo) - blank
Just spoken to the garage, now that they have looked at the car. They tell me the problem is actually the air conditioning compressor.
Siezed aircon pump! - blank
Thought I'd repost with a more accurate diagnosis!

The problem is not the PAS pump as the AA man thought, but the aircon compressor.

I am told I need a compressor at £290, a receiver at £57, refrigerant etc to total including labour £499+VAT.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks again
Andy
Siezed aircon pump! - Dynamic Dave
Does this sound reasonable?

Yes.
Siezed aircon pump! - Dave N
Andy, make sure they know what they're doing when they replace the compressor. It is common on Ford compressors, and they puke their guts when they sieze. If there is debris in the system, and they'll be able to see it when they disconnect, you'll need, in addition to the items quoted, at the very least an extremely good flush of the system and a new orifice tube. You will still run the risk of not getting all the debris which will wreck your new compressor in a matter of weeks. Depending on the failure mode, you may also have 'black death', which is the remnants of the teflon coating that Ford use on their compressor pistons. If there is any sign of this black muck in the system, then flushing may not get rid of it, and Ford recommend replacement of the whole system.

The orifice tube will need removal, and only cost about £1, as if this has any debris in it, it will block the flow of refrigerant (and therefore oil) back to the compressor. The usual cause of failure is low refrigerant and low oil, but you need to make sure your man checks things like the fan operation to be sure that whatever caused your compressors demise, isn't going to do the same to your new one. With so many expensive parts, and all of their operations interelated, you need to be sure you only have to do it once, by doing it right.

One last note, if it is only the compressor clutch bearing that's gone, ie. can you turn the centre of the hub but not the outer, then you can safely just replace the compressor without fear of debris in the system. Prices look about right, assuming it is a new genuine Visteon compressor, not some repainted rebuilt junk.
Siezed aircon pump! - Mark (RLBS)
Reading that, I think woz it me I'd be taking it to Dave_N or someone that he recommends.
Dave:
Thanks very much for your helpful advice. I'll certainly be discussing at some more length with my "man".

When you say replace "the whole system" if it's got the black death, how huge a job is this?

As you say, I certainly don't want to be doing this job twice. I am pretty sure I trust the garage and thier competence, but it's certainly better to be safe than sorry.

I'll check the quality of the replacement part.

Thanks again!
Andy
Update!

The problem, almost thankfully, turned out to be the compressor clutch siezed solid, so no fear of the whole system being comtaminated.
With the regas, the system seems to run colder more quickly than before and the rancid smell from the system has also been cured by an antibacterial treatment.

All in all, apart from the bill for 500 quid, I am happy!

Andy