05 1.1 Battery or alternator failed? - Phil P
Any help diagnosing this problem with my 55 17k Kia Picanto would be much appreciated!

I was driving home the other day and stopped to get petrol. Upon getting back in the car it wouldn't start. The starter motor initially turned over slowly then there was just a clicking sound.

I managed to get a jump start and drove the couple of miles home with no problem. Upon parking and switching off the engine, I tried to start it again but got the same as previous.

It may or may not be relevant, but a few days before this occurred I thought the windscreen wipers were laboring a little, but decided it must just be in my head. I can't actually remember whether this was stationary or on the move, but the engine was running.

I bought the car in December and as far as I know it's still on the original battery. The car is generally used for short runs but does get used for a couple of hour+ journeys every week.

Is there any way to deduce whether it's the battery or alternator that has failed without getting it to a garage? Or is it perhaps worth getting a new battery anyway and then see if that was the problem?

Thanks in advance.

----
PhiL
05 1.1 Battery or alternator failed? - kiss (keep it simple)
It sounds very much like the alternator is not charging. Are there any warning lights? The simplest way to check is to beg, steal or borrow a volt meter. Assuming you can get it started, the meter should read approximately 13.5 to 14 Volts across the battery. If it sits at about 12 to 12.5 Volts, the battery is not charging and even a new one will run down after a few hours driving. If the voltage is correct, then the battery is not holding its charge and it is time to get a new one.
Thanks for your advice kiss. There have been no warning lights. I actually bought a digital multimeter yesterday and managed to jump start the car again. The reading with the engine running at tickover was ~13.8v, when I turned off the engine it dropped to just over 12v.

Presume this means that the alternator is charging and it's just the battery that's failed?
05 1.1 Battery or alternator failed? - Simon
If the car will stay running after being jump started then it is likely that the alternator is working okay. If it wasn't as soon as the jump leads were removed the car would normally cough, splutter and cut out. It does look like your battery has failed, buy a new one, stick it on and see how you go.
05 1.1 Battery or alternator failed? - ablandy
i had to replace the battery on our picanto (it had been standing for a while). Tiny battery, got one from halfords as it was listed on their flip chart thing but it didnt fit properly as the kia one had an extra section at the bottom to clamp to. Bought one from a kia dealer (it had to go in for a service so got them to do it at same time).

Just something to be aware of.
Cheers for the info guys. If you can only buy replacement batteries from Kia dealers it's an outrage! I rang my nearest for a quote and they wanted £70+, compared to the £51 *delivered* I found for a (most likely superior) Varta online. The size is type 054.

After reading your post ablandy (thanks btw, you saved me a lot of hassle!) I actually took out the old battery and see what you mean - it has a lip running along the lower side edges which you use to clamp it. Went back online to look at pics of both the Varta I'd found and Halfords own, and neither appears to have the lip...

Gah there must be a way to avoid paying main dealer prices! Anyone battery savvy who can offer advice?

Starter Motor - Rachie27
Hi Guys,
Im having a problems with my 05 reg Picanto,does'nt sound like alternator or battery from the discusions of Phil P problems,mine is trying to start and giving a few turns it finals goes after that, but then if you go back to it again even after you have got it started and still does it,so im thinking it could be the starter motor.if so where can i source a cheap one from and are they easy to fit myself.
Cheers Rachie27
05 1.1 Battery or alternator failed? - datostar
Gah there must be a way to avoid paying main dealer prices! Anyone battery savvy
who can offer advice?

Go to Halfords, accept their battery recommendation and get them to fit it. My Megane has a similar lip on the battery and their battery definitely had one. All credit to them, too. Mine still had the stupid Renault screw on terminals with sleeves on the battery posts which had to be forced off the old battery, damaging them. They changed the terminals to normal clamps and rewired them. Excellent job at no extra charge over the standard £4.99 fitting charge.
05 1.1 Battery or alternator failed? - diddy1234
sounds like the battery is not charging.

From the voltages you posted the alternator is working fine but the battery will not accept charge.

Car batteries are odd items that can show the correct voltage but not accept any charge at all.

Just a note, the battery and alternator are closely related and if a fault occurs in one then the other may fail at a later date.

I had this problem on my first car.
The alternator packed up but managed to drive the car home for 10 miles in the dead of winter.

Changed the alternator and two months later the battery had to be replaced.

Just as a heads up for anyone that is interested :-

Voltage while cranking the engine 9 - 11 volts
Voltage while engine running 13.8 - 14.4 volts (14.4 volts if battery is fully charged)

If you ever see 15 - 19 volts (depending upon revs) then the voltage regulator is damaged on the back of the alternator.
Just as an update to this, I've been having more fun and games with my Picanto.

Since my last post, I succumbed and paid through the nose for a new battery from my local Kia dealer. I fitted it and all seemed fine.

The next day, however, upon trying to return from a day out the car refused to start or even turnover, despite the new battery having charge. I called out my breakdown, after an hour fault-finding (and suspecting either the immobiliser or starter motor) they discovered that the car's earth lead had come loose. As soon as they tightened it all was fine again (or so I thought).

Fast forward a few weeks of the car seeming to be running fine, I was concerned to find the new battery covered in a liquid. Checked the voltage and at tickover it was showing 14.6v. Took it to a garage I trust who advised that the liquid was acid due to the alternator overcharging and boiling the battery. They rang their supplier to find that the cost for a new alternator is £197+VAT!

I managed to source a second-hand alternator from a salvage firm for £57 delivered with 3-month guarantee, which they then fitted for me (a nightmare job in itself apparently).

The story doesn't end here though, since this morning I discovered that the acid that escaped the battery and dripped down has now caused a load of corrosion lower down in the engine bay. A large patch of paint has literally peeled of a metal panel below the battery compartment and a load of rust has already formed.

Is the car doomed? :o(
05 1.1 Battery or alternator failed? - Robin the Technician
14.6 volts across the battery is not overcharging - have you checked the voltage AFTER the replacement alternator was fitted? I suspect you may have a faulty cell in the new battery (it happens) and has ejected some of the acid inside. You need to get the new battery checked by the people who supplied it. I'm sure they will have the relevant (and more sophisticated) test equipment to test the battery. If the battery is faulty (as I suspect it is) then the repair costs for the paint must be their responsibility.
05 1.1 Battery or alternator failed? - davecuk
I second the above the alternator voltage sounds fine.

In addition to having the battery checked, the charge regulator may be shot and allowing it to overcharge the battery. In the olden days it was a box with relays in it, modern cars it's on the alternator and should be fixable, without replacing the whole alternator, if it's not a sealed unit..

Edited by davecuk on 16/09/2009 at 17:36

05 1.1 Battery or alternator failed? - evaang2003

Hi, Phil, may i know what is the end of the story of your picanto? What cause the corrosion?

Can i have your email address? I am a new car owner of new model picanto bought at 2010. I face similar situation with you. My engine compartment and bonnet is corroded.