99 1.8 Valve clearance checking and adjusting conc - jp147
I should make it clear that I have a 1.8 PETROL model and not a turbo diesel.

This means that the car has the Zetec E variant (1.8 and 2.0 l) of the zetec engines and not the Zetec SE variant (1.4 and 1.6 l).

In the Ford Focus owner's guide it says that the valve clearances should be checked after 10 years or 100 000 miles whichever comes first. In the Hayne's manual (which is usually even more prudent in when things need doing e.g. 40 000 miles for the timing belt whereas Ford say 100 000 miles) it just says every 100 000 miles for checking and adjusting the valve clearances and doesn't mention anything about 10 years.

So In my case the car has done 81 000 miles and has now gone past the 10 year mark. Does this mean I can wait a few more 1000 miles before having them checked ?

I have to say I asked one Ford garage and they said that they don't need checking at all !
99 1.8 Valve clearance checking and adjusting conc - bathtub tom
Is it rattling?

Does it pass MOT emissions?

What's your MPG?

What I'm saying is, do you want to spend a couple of hundred quid on a job that doesn't need doing?

It's a ten-year-old car!
99 1.8 Valve clearance checking and adjusting conc - clewsy01
Agree, if its all fine i would not worry as it is a 10 year old car. If you intend to keep the car for a while say 3 - 5 more years you may want it done. But i have found on my focus that whilst they have there little niggling faults like speed sensors and idle control valves, the actual engines themselves are very robust so long as you look after it with its servicing, oil changes and regular maintainece such as timing belts. I would save your money in this reccesion if it aint nessacery.
99 1.8 Valve clearance checking and adjusting conc - Dr Dave
Indeed; the Ford garage were correct - your engine has hydraulic lifters, no need to check clearances.
99 1.8 Valve clearance checking and adjusting conc - Galaxy
Indeed; the Ford garage were correct - your engine has hydraulic lifters no need to
check clearances.

Sorry, no it doesn't, not on a 99 Focus engine which will be a black top and have solid valve lifters.

The engines which had hydraulic lifters were silver tops and only used up to about May 98.

Having said that I don't think you will find many people bother to adjust tappets on a zetec engine, it just isn't necessary.

My Mondeo has done 145K and it's tappets have never been adjusted. I've no plans to adjust them, either, and the engine runs fine.