1997 Vectra remote - 9000
I've lost the (only) remote for my car- looking at a previous post on resynchronising does this mean that I can obtain any remote from a breaker and remove the battery and then resynch?

Also does my key have a transponder?

Reason I ask is that both these parts are top dollar at the dealers and I'd rather take the cheaper option if it's there

TIA
1997 Vectra remote - Cyrill666 {P}
Hi TIA,

I have a 1999 Vectra, and I bought the car with a single key/remote. A couple of weeks ago I tried to get a spare key cut, but it's dealer only as the Vectra not only has a transponder key, but the code cycles every time it's used, that is to say there isn't just one magic number in the key, there are many. From my local dealer I paid £41.95 + VAT to have a second key supplied, cut and coded. The process also involved telling the car about the new key too, and I was originally told I'd have to book it in! Although they did manage to 'fit me in' which was very nice of them. I think I was looking at another £20-£30 for a remote central locking key, but since it was a spare I didn't bother.

So to answer your questions, I don't know if you can use a second hand remote, but it's worth a try. Yes, your key does have a transponder.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
1997 Vectra remote - John S

There are two separate things here. One is the remote control for the locking, which is easy to reprogramme. I would think a s/h remote should be reprogammable to your car, but I can't be sure. There may be some car specific coding.

The bright side is that your car doesn't have an alarm. If it did you'd be stuck. Despite what it says in the book if you open an alarmed Vectra via the door lock the alarm goes off, and only the remote will stop it!

The other is the chip or transponder in the key. Your car will have transponder keys. Not only must the key fit the ignition barrel, but the ECU must recognise the code it carries. If you buy a new key it requires the dealer to programme the car to accept it. This needs the code from the 'car pass'. If you didn't get that with the car your dealer will relieve you of about £6 to replace it, from Vauxhall.

Regards

John S
1997 Vectra remote - Dynamic Dave
The bright side is that your car doesn't have an alarm.
If it did you'd be stuck. Despite what it says in the book
if you open an alarmed Vectra via the door lock the alarm
goes off, and only the remote will stop it!

You can also shut the alarm up by putting the key in the ignition and starting the engine - Providing of course the ignition electronics recognises the imobiliser chip in the key.