update on mercedes e300 for david W - steve
Hi David
We exchanged notes a while back on my 95N Mercedes E300 diesel 7 seater estate in azurite blue. Just to update you, it has now done 115k miles, just passed its Mot on Saturday with the tester commenting that he could not find anything at all wrong - no play in any of the suspension or joints. You were right when you said how good they are - it is so good that we are keeping it and I have bought a E320 coupe of the same year with 97k miles to go with it. These "W124 series" cars are superb buys it seems - if you can find a good one.
update on mercedes e300 for david W - M.M
Steve,

You lucky chap! While there are odd grumbles on this site about MB quality falling off all the folks I actually know with a MB (usually mid 1990s or older) have nothing but praise for them.

In fact a retired customer is looking to change a Renault Laguna for a brand new car at perhaps £16K and I'm trying very hard to get him to find a nice diesel MB for £10-£15K.

I'm sure his overall satisfaction will be higher....and I'll get to look after it!

Regards,

David W
update on mercedes e300 for david W - MB
I'm thinking of following your lead so you mind telling us what you paid for it, what mpg you get, insurance costs, whether you've had to spend any money on it...
Also how does it compare to driving, say a two year old Mondeo?

regards
MB

update on mercedes e300 for david W - Simon Templar

The last of the bomb proof,over engineered cars, that provide full return for the money.Unlike the current models, full of needless electronic gizmos that have idiosynchrosies that challenge Blackpool Lights, & cost four figure sums to put right.
Simon T.
update on mercedes e300 for david W - steve
MB I assume that you are referring to the E300D estate rather than the recently acquired e320 coupe. I bought it 4 years ago when it had done 33k miles so purchase price is a bit acedemic now but it was £16,750 bought at BCA. It has done another 82k miles since then. It has needed a new exhaust, new discs, 2 sets of front pads, 1 rear pads, tyres every 25k ish miles, 2 glo plugs, one electric window motor and one oil cooler pipe (between rad and auto box - there is a rust trap there so is worth checking for leaking auto fluid before it is too late). Servicing has been expensive at main Merc dealer - with hindsight I should have gone to an independent. Insurance is reasonable - it is all very variable according to age and place but I pay about £400 with 5 yrs NCD. Fuel consumption is usually 33mpg, never below 30 and has been up to 38 on a long gentle run. Best running down the motorway at 80 -90mph.
It is by far the best car I have ever owned - and I have had a fair few. It is cavernous with the seats down - not much defeats it, and the overall satisfaction is huge.
david W was absolutley right - buy a used one of these not a new Lugana or something. As I said the only problem will be finding a good one I suspect - dont seem to be too many advertised.
I bought it expecting to keep it 2 years and buy another 3 yr old W210 estate but it drives and feels just the same as the day I bought it so I am not going to waste my money!