02 1.6 Temp and fuel gauges - willow
Hi, I have just had my Lambda sensor replaced on friday and have noticed over the weekend that when I switch off my ignition, my temp and fuel gauges shoot up to the 12 o'clock positon and remain there till I restart the engine, whereupon they show the correct readings. Could the replacement of the Lambda sensor have caused this problem?

Edited by willow on 27/07/2009 at 11:27

02 1.6 Temp and fuel gauges - gadgee
I have the same model and year as you. I have not had any lambda sensors replaced but my two gauges occasionally do the same. I think there is a thread on here about it, or it may be the FFOC site. Anyway the general opinion was to ignore it. Something to do with dry joints behind the dash.
02 1.6 Temp and fuel gauges - Singlish
Definitely the instrument panel, I believe this will be covered by Fords £99 (IIRC) replacement policy following all the publicity on BBC Watchdog in 2008.

My 2003 1.6 Ghia did exactly the same after 2 years and I had the panel replaced in late 2005 before the warranty ran out.

One small disadvantage your new mileometer part of the new panel will start at 0!

Edited by Pugugly on 11/08/2009 at 11:16

02 1.6 Temp and fuel gauges - Wurzel83
Could the replacement of the Lambda sensor have caused this
problem?

Seems unlikely.
02 1.6 Temp and fuel gauges - DP
My 02 TDDi did this from not long after new. Gauges worked perfectly in use, so I never bothered getting them looked at. The fuel and temperature gauges would drop to "zero" as the ignition was switched off, then pop back to vertical a second or two later.

I happily ignored it for three years and it never caused a problem.