09 1.2 looking after, and driving a brand new car? - i10
Very Excited to collect the car from the dealer tomorrow.

is there any particular things that I should be aware of? (First time new car buyer....)

Do I need to give the car a run-in period (say for the first 1,000 miles?)

Or any other general things I should be check before I pay my money?

many thanks.

{txt talk edited out and replaced with proper words}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/07/2009 at 23:59

09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - Robin the Technician
Try reading the handbook - its a good start!!!
09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - rip
this is a good start

www.whatcar.com/images/subscription/newcarcollect....f

Edited by rip on 24/07/2009 at 16:24

09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - Dynamic Dave
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=44
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=32
09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - moonshine {P}

Apparently quite a lot of thse come with low coolant levels from the factory. Easy enough to check and top up.

Lucky you to be getting yours, still waiting for ours. Report back and let us know how you get on with it.
09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - Armitage Shanks {p}
ISTR something about not applying polish for the first ? months, for some cars. Something to do with the paint hardening/stabilising. It will be in the book if applicable to your new car.
09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - stunorthants26
Give the car a good thrashing, within acceptable limits - always made Rover loan cars reliable and drive better.
09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - Falkirk Bairn
It has come on a slow boat from India (IIRC), waiting for shipping, time on boat, time to get to dealers.............so it will be OK to polish - it is not as if it was a repair job at your local panelbeater!
09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - The Melting Snowman
There is no need to do anything over and above what the manual or dealer say.

No car of ours has ever been 'run-in', just driven normally from day one. They do not get treated any differently to a car with 50K on the clock. Never had any engine-related problems with any of them.

I would suggest that company cars and hire cars don't get run in (certainly not when I get my hands on one) and yet I see no evidence to suggest they have a greater incidence of engine problems than others.

If you look at the Technical Forum on here (or any other forum for that matter), there are very few problems relating to engine wear or oil consumption. If running in was so essential then these would be the problem areas one would expect to see crop up. Instead we have broken clutches, DMF problems, electrical problems, wiper blades, cambelt issues etc.

Engine oil technology and manufacturing tolerances are massively better than in the past.

In my opinion the obsession with running-in is a throw back to the old days when engines were often knackered at 80000 miles no matter how it was treated, akin to those who believe engine oil needs to be changed every other week.

Do as the manual / dealer says, keep an eye on the oil level and enjoy the car.
09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - frazerjp
My Uncle has picked up his new i10 today he's thrilled to bits with it, I had a ride in it myself it feels very nippy indeed.
The body shop had to buff out a mark on the boot door but all was fine afterwards.
09 1.2 Collecting the Car tmr, what do I need to b - i10
Hi Everyone

Got my car on Sat!

very nice car indeed!

driving very smoothly, just need to get more used to it when around corner!

thx for all the info!