HELP! Removing stereo from Citroen ZX - hallucyn8
Does anyone have any idea how to remove the stereo from a Citroen ZX. As far as I know it's the standard stereo that's about twice the height of most stereos and has the flap that covers half of the stereo.
If anyone can help that would be great.
Cheers
HELP! Removing stereo from Citroen ZX - Jon Cunningham-Smith
This is from memory, but here we go.

There are two rubber plugs on each side of the head unit.These are located in the halfway down the height of the unit. Take these rubber plugs out and you will find 2 screws.These screws are Torx heads. Remove both of these and, gently half lift the flap that covers the front of the stereo and pull very very gently. The unit should slide out. You then need to disconnect the two plugs that link the back of the unit, these are simple snap in affairs. Then disconnect the aerial.

The unit should then be free.

You will then see that the bracket that held two screws is held in on all four corners by from memory, 2 philips and 2 Torx screws. Remove these and keep the screws. You will then need to contact your local Citroen dealer for an assembly that will hold a standard radio head unit. I fitted a Sony unit to my ZX and was pleased to find that the radio was supplied with a harness that fitted directly in to the plugs on the cars wiring loom. The only other thing you need to buy is an aerial adaptor to convert the ISO aerial plug to a standard one as on the new head unit.

It is best to fit the new head unit in to the adaptor faceplate out of the car. Then once all the wiring is fitted, it is ready to fit in the car. you will need to route the wiring carefully as you slide in the new unit as space is tight. Hold the adaptor in place with the 2 Philips and 2 Torx screws as taken out of the bracket above. For the sake of tidiness, Screw the original Torx bits back in to the Original Blaupunkt radio kit after sliding this bracket on to the set. That way you'll keep everything together if you need to refit the original radio unit when you sell the car.

The Citroen adaptor plate is quite a tidy piece of kit, and gives you a full width flap to hide the stereo. I never leave it covered, I'd rather remove the faceplate of my stereo so would be thieves aren't tempted to break in to see what the radio is.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jon S
HELP! Removing stereo from Citroen ZX - hallucyn8
Thanks alot, I've sorted it now.

Couldn't believe how easy it was.

Cheers
HELP! Removing stereo from Citroen ZX - Robbo
Alternatively, why not leave the car parked unattended in Liverpool for a few minutes. When you return, the stereo will have been removed for you, along with the wheels, the tax-disk, the petrol etc etc.
HELP! Removing stereo from Citroen ZX - Dom F {P}
Jon S

Sorry to bother you again. My original ZX Citroen radio went in for repair last week as the cassette wasn't working at all when I got the car. Got it back and found that when you're playing a tape, you cannot eject the tape unless you fast forward or rewind to the start/end of the tape. Pushing both rewind/forward buttons in together (as per usual stereos) to eject does nothing, merely starts it rewinding or fast forwarding to one end of the tape.

Is this normal operation for this radio, or should it be poss to eject without going to the end of the tape?

Thanks
Dom F
HELP! Removing stereo from Citroen ZX - Dynamic Dave
should it be poss to eject without going to the end of the tape?

Yes.
should it be poss to eject without going to the end of the tape?

>>Yes.

That's what I would have thought. However it does not do this. I do recall that when I first got the car (and radio) I put a tape in to play, found it was not working and pushed the 2 buttons to eject. About 8 minutes later (not joking) the tape was spat out so hard that it flew past me and landed on the back seat.

As I haven't been able to locate a manual/handbook for the zx's audios, I'm hoping you lot can tell me for definite.
HELP! Removing stereo from Citroen ZX - GJD
Dom

Not sure from your postings whether your radio is quite the same as mine (mine is a double height one with a flap at the top). When playing a tape, pushing the two buttons to the right of the tap slot changes play direction. My eject button on the left is quite happy to eject a tape without winding to the end.

HTH
GJD
HELP! Removing stereo from Citroen ZX - Jon Cunningham-Smith
Dom,

Haven't logged on over the weekend, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.

This doesn't sound normal, you should be able to eject the tape anytime. Diesel car magazine have tested many ZX's over the years and they would be the first to pick up on any peculiarities such as not being able to eject a tape when you want to.

There were at least two kinds of radios fitted to the ZX, latterly another model called the 2002 RDS unit was fitted. At the time that I bought my model in Oct 1996, the base model had a similar radio but without RDS called the 1021.This both featured a separate eject button.

The radios on better spec models prior to 1996 had a separate forward and rewind button to the right of the cassette slot and an eject button on the left of the slot.

I referred back to a 1995 copy of Diesel car magazine where they did a review on a base model estate ZX and the radio doesn't appear to have a separate eject button. From memory, you had to press the forward and rewind buttons together to eject the tape.

Perhaps if you let me know the model of the car, I can check my old ZX brochures over the next weekend and I can advise further the design of the radios fitted..

It sounds like you have bad problems with your radio kit, it's a shame that mine went wrong as I wouldn't otherwise have a use for it now and would have been in a position to offer it to you.
I've long got rid of my original radio unit as it stopped working a long time ago so I only had the handbook to refer to.

These radios are made by Blaupunkt and should be based on their radios. I'm surprised that they couldn't fix the problem.

Depending on cost, try another hi-fi dealer or take it back to them and seek their advice.

Cheers - Jon S
Thanks Jon
As luck would have it, I did a long run down thru France at the weekend and half way thru the eject started to work. I can now press the ffwd and rew buttons on the right of the cassette opening and it ejects at will. No such luck with changing sides, tho!

Thanks for your help on this one.
Rgds
Dom F