Public Service Announcement - David Horn
Attention Shoppers:

The national speed limit is not, as many of you appear to believe, 40mph. Or 50mph. It is, in fact, 60mph. I do appreciate that much of the time, 60mph is unsafe and inappropriate. However, for the rest of the time, you're ruining my day.

ESPECIALLY when you do 40mph down a wide, straight road with oncoming traffic such that no-one behind you can overtake. See that long line of cars behind you? Your fault. I have to do a 40 mile trip down A-roads several times a week, and people like you make the difference between the journey taking 50 minutes and an hour and twenty.

Oh yes, and the speed limit on a dual-carriageway is 70mph. Not 60.

That is all.

--> As you may have guessed, I've just had an exceptionally tedious journey. Even Steve Wright was boring today.
Public Service Announcement - bell boy
are you in the twilight zone?
steve wright aint on

i agree about 40 in 60 though
Public Service Announcement - rtj70
David

What's the national speed limit for a 7.5 tonne truck or a car towing a caravan then ;-)

National speed limit for cars might be 60mph but not for everything. And that's a maximum speed not minimum.
Public Service Announcement - oldnotbold
You forget that the national speed limit reduces if you:

a) are wearing a hat/headscarf

b) are talking to a passenger

c) are on a day out, even if not a Sunday

d) drive less than 3,000 miles a year

e) have the wrong/no specs with you

f) don't need to get home in a hurry because the sprouts need a good three hours to cook.
He's not on? I kept flicking over to Radio 2, hearing appalling music, and going back to the CD changer! Wasn't listening long enough to hear the presenter... ;-)

For the record, I don't actually object to being stuck behind a lorry or a caravan, since they're not pointlessly slowing down everyone else on the road.
Public Service Announcement - Martin Devon
Oh yes and the speed limit on a dual-carriageway is 70mph. Not 60.

I think you will find that it is 60 Sir. That is the speed limit (National) on the A361 North Devon Link road and posted as such
--> As you may have guessed I've just had an exceptionally tedious journey. Even Steve
Wright was boring today.

He is the most boring uneducated twerp that has ever pervaded the radio. Tabloid *osser.

MD
Public Service Announcement - 832ark
Speed limit on a dual-carriageway is 70MPH - Unless otherwise posted
Speed limit on a dual-carriageway is 70MPH - Unless otherwise posted

Well Sir I sit corrected. That is of course if you are right.

Thank you. MD
Public Service Announcement - Pugugly
He's right see that little read publication the Highway Code for further information.
Public Service Announcement - Hamsafar
I agree, going slowly for no good reason, is the height of selfishness.
Public Service Announcement - commerdriver
How slow is "slowly"?
In a 60 limit is anything below 60 going slowly or is it below 50, or even below 65.

I tend to drive more or less at the limit where safe to do so but if others don't then I don't let it spoil my journey, they may have good reasons for going a bit slower that I cannot see.

For example, when we used to take my late mother in law out, in her wheelchair car she was in some discomfort if I was doing 60 on some of our less well maintained roads, which in my own car I would have been doing 60 on.
Public Service Announcement - Lud
Well, DH, message received and more than understood something like fifty years ago.

It is precious little use mentioning the speed limits to waddling twozzers in the hope of spurring them forward into a brisk walk or even trot. The very mention of a speed limit will add to the legal component in their general paranoia, and most likely cause them to slow down even more.

After all, they have a right to, and they aren't going to be pushed around by grimacing flashing gesticulating obscenity-howling perfectly normal citizens just trying to get a tiny bit of a move on.

They aren't speed merchants, thank you very much. They are the face of the future. Bummer, huh?
Public Service Announcement - captain chaos
Perhaps they are driving slowly because they care for the environment. Using less of the Earths finite resources and pumping out fewer emissions by treading oh so lightly with the right foot. I like to redress the balance whenever possible by ripping past them in two and a quarter tons of American pig iron, glasspacks bellowing on full volume. That usually wakes 'em up. Tends to get them over to the left, too... :-)
Public Service Announcement - kithmo
These are the same twerps that drive straight throught the 30mph limit areas at 40mph too. :0(
Public Service Announcement - Alby Back
I have had some fast cars. I have also had some painfully slow ones. Those when fully laden have on occasion been unable to keep up with the flow. One tried of course not to obstruct but it was sometimes unavoidable. Spare a thought for those with too few or tired horses.

;-)
Public Service Announcement - Robin Reliant
I have a flat cap which I position centrally on the rear parcel shelf, next to the box of tissues. Therefore I am entitled to drive at 40mph, no matter what the limit.

You will notice that as you overtake I am confirming this status by staring fixedly ahead and dribbling.
Public Service Announcement - datostar
I occasionally wear the flat cap and leave the panama on the parcel shelf. Swapping them over enables a rapid change of image from old ditherer to ill-tempered opinionated cricket-commentator type (and I do come from Yorkshire, too). I'm contemplating a brown trilby for dashing racehorse trainer
Public Service Announcement - Harleyman
I occasionally wear the flat cap and leave the panama on the parcel shelf.

There are alternatives to this. I briefly followed a purple Fiesta down the M4 yesterday (not for long since I was climbing the hill up to Sarn with a full load on and still managed to overtake it) which was sporting two crocheted cushions (cream with purple stripe) on the parcel shelf.

Said cushions did not look as though they had ever been sat on, even by the Yorkshire terrier which was looking out of the rear driver-side window with a look of abject boredom on its face; I can therefore only conclude that their dual purpose in life is to show off the lady wife's crocheting prowess (a fossil's version of the ubiquitous Baby on Board sticker?) and to restrict the view through the rear mirror so that in the unlikely event of the driver using it, he will not notice the miles of queueing traffic behind him.
You will notice that as you overtake I am confirming this status by staring fixedly
ahead and dribbling.

Perfectly normal for round here, RR!
Public Service Announcement - Old Navy
Split into two camps as usual, the chilled out, and the stress merchants working on a heart attack.
Public Service Announcement - ifithelps
It's a speed limit, not a target.
Public Service Announcement - LikedDrivingOnce
Remember that anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac and anyone slower than you is an idiot.
You will notice that as you overtake I am confirming this status by staring fixedly ahead and dribbling.

Prostate problem?
Public Service Announcement - Lud
Spare a thought for those with too few or tired horses.

Oh do stop being controversial HB.

You know perfectly well that we are discussing the St John's Wood stereotype here: people in 535 BMWs and Lexus 460s and so forth that you or I would run rings round in a 2CV with a piano strapped to the roof.

Honestly some people. Poor old tired camel indeed. Snort!
Public Service Announcement - 1400ted
Oh, dear, I hope Harleyman doesn't ever come across my Jowett.
I have two cushions, embroidered with the Jowett badge, on the parcel shelf. They were done for me by a very good lady freind many years ago for a present.
I also have a 1952 Daily Express, headlining the Harrow and Wealdstone train disaster. ( February, the same date the car was registered ).
And, of course, my tweed hat !
I don't hang around , though. I try and keep up.
Sad and proud of it !

Ted
Public Service Announcement - Alby Back
Honestly some people. Poor old tired camel indeed. Snort!

Aw Lud, don't take the hump !........
Public Service Announcement - CGNorwich
going slowly for no good reason, is the height of selfishness.

But does anyone go slowly for no good reason? They have a reason - quite often they simply do not feel comfortable driving any quicker. You might think that's not a good reason but they would think it is.
Public Service Announcement - KB.

For a road to be classed as a dual carriageway, the two directions of traffic flow must be physically separated by a central reservation. A road where the two directions of flow are separated only by lines painted on the road surface is a single carriageway, regardless of the number of traffic lanes that may be available to the traffic in each direction. So a road with three or four lanes is still a single carriageway if there is no central reservation.