Return to VW - GTI Mk 6 - akr
Regular readers will know I fell out with VW big style after 2 horrendous Mk 4s and vowed I'd never buy another. However, those pesky Germans produced the Mk 5 GTi which I always hankered after having driven at launch.
I managed to resist buying one as the bitterness was still too raw at that time. However, I've finally succumbed and after several years (happy years I might add) with a couple of Saab 93s I've bought a Golf GTi Mk6 which I got yesterday.
First impressions are all positive. It's a stunning looking car and is fantastic to drive whether screaming round country roads or tootling round suburbia. The quality is excellent and the dealer has been excellent throughout the buying experience with a really pleasant salesman who knew his stuff and did stuff when he said he was going to do it.
Two things will actually make or break this car for me. One, the reliability. It can't be worse than the Mk4s but I am hoping that it's at least pretty good. Secondly, the dealer. I am using a completely new dealer so am hoping that the pre-purchase experience is mirrored in the post purchase experience. This is where VW have fallen down in the past for me and where the Saab experience was so much better as I had an ace dealer.
I'll keep you all posted. VW do get a bashing on here and I've been one of their biggest bashers. They really don't deserve me as a customer after last time so it'd be nice if this was a good experience for once. I've got fingers and everything else crossed.....
Return to VW - GTI Mk 6 - tack
my experience mirrored OP.s. Excellent dealership experience and a really really lovely car to drive. Done 1200 miles in 3wks. Cant keep out of it. Fast or slow it is refined, frugal (1.4tsi 122) and a joy to behold. Love it!
Return to VW - GTI Mk 6 - Pugugly
I loved my MK5 GTi as well - alas it had to go :-(