Caravan parking. - Old Navy
For several weeks there has been a caravan parked on a main road near me. It is a wide road with a slight curve to the right and the entrance to a petrol station / Ford dealer on the right almost opposite the parked caravan. Soon after the caravan appeared I thought it was parked in a risky spot. You have guessed it, this morning caravan is on the wide pavement with its right side ripped out. Do some people have no concept of risk? Everyone parks on the pavement along this road.
Caravan parking. - Mick Snutz
Good. That's one less piece of oversized Tupperware to clog the roads this summer!

;-)
Caravan parking. - L'escargot
Everyone parks on the pavement
along this road.

Even though it's a wide road?
Even though it's a wide road?

>>
Yes, it varies between two and a half, and three lanes wide, although there is a center line with islands at various points. The area of the incident has a third turn right lane for the Ford dealer painted on the road. Although I said the road is wide, It is not suitable for on road parking, there are no parking restrictions and common sense makes pavement parking the best and accepted option, (the pavement is 12' wide).
Caravan parking. - bonzodog
.....the pavement is 12' wide.......

And exists for pedestrians, not motor vehicles (OR CARAVANS)
And exists for pedestrians not motor vehicles (OR CARAVANS)

If you are more than 6' wide may I suggest a diet? :-)

I would think neither this road or pavement are suitable for long term caravan parking.

Edited by Old Navy on 17/07/2009 at 17:08

Caravan parking. - Harmire
Can anyone advise, please, on how to deal with a caravan parked long-term on the highway? There has been one left for 3 months on our estate road (an adopted highway and not a cul-de-sac, but no yellow lines). It's on a hill, close to a junction and has contributed to the problems of getting out of our estate by car during the winter weather.

Along with other residents, I have so far been given the run-around by the Police and local authorities - each of whom says it is someone else's responsibility. Obstructions are a Police responsibility, but it's a subjective Police decision whether or not it's an obstruction - so it's in the Police's interest not to consider it one. Decriminalised parking enforcement is a local authority responsibility - County say they deal with parking on verges and District deal with on-street parking. District say they they can't treat it as an abandoned vehicle as they know who owns it - and it isn't a planning issue as it's not being slept in. District also say they only have authority to deal with yellow lines and parking restrictions; they consider it's a County responsibility.

I reckon it's an on-street parking enforcement issue, but the problem is getting a local authority to act. I've seen mention (in FAQs) of the legal case 'Nelmes v Rhys Howells Transport' which apparently went to appeal and held that the highway was not to be used for storage.

Nobody minds a caravan parked reasonably for a couple of days to load or unload, but this is 3 months and there's now grass growing out of the highway!

Edited by Harmire on 14/01/2010 at 17:32

Caravan parking. - Harleyman
Simple. Release the handbrake and push gently in general direction of main road.

Edited by Harleyman on 14/01/2010 at 22:10

Sadly, the main road is up the hill.....as we found when pushing neighbours' cars on the ice last week!
Caravan parking. - FotheringtonThomas
Shouldn't park on the footway *at all*.

When I read the title of this, "Caravan parking" I thought "Oh! Best thing to do with them, really...".

:)
Caravan parking. - Statistical outlier
I thought it referred to the difficulty of achieving said manoeuvre. I've less than no desire to own or use a caravan, but I've always quite fancied having a go at reversing with one, just to see if I could.

I suppose that if it wasn't my rig, then if it turned out I couldn't at least there would be some consolation....
Caravan parking. - Geistak
Hi - it is illegal to leave a caravan on a public highway unless it is lit at night, irrespective of whether there is street lighting or not.

Orginally all vehicles so parked were required to be lit, but the law was changed in respect of motor (mecahnically propelled) vehicles.

Thus the offending caravan requires lights at night - rather like a skip ;)

I'm not entirely sure of the insurance requirements, given that caravans (when being towed) are not required to have insurance.

You can, however, take it that no caravan insurance company would extend cover to the van being permanently stored on the road - 'where is it kept?' is one of the first proposal questions to be asked.

I take it this is an old caravavan? - no owner of a newish van would leave his/her cherished possession on the public road at the mercy of a hostile world! - and I speak as a caravanner
Caravan parking. - b308
Thats a good point re the lighting, G, and maybe the thing needed for the earlier poster to get the Police involved... I doubt any insurance company would cover a 'van parked on a road!
Thank you, that's a very good point and I've already raised it with the Police. Understandably, they don't regard this sort of thing as a priority and say that parking enforcement is the responsibility of the local authority.

It's an oldish van.

The Highway Code cites Construction & Use Regulations r.103 in connection with leaving trailers on the road - but I've been unable, so far, to find exactly what this says. Can anyone post this in detail, please?