Junction layouts - 1400ted

There seems to be a trend with some of our local councils to inflict a quite illogical lane layout at some light controlled crossroads.
There are two lanes coming up to the lights, the nearside lane has an arrow indicating traffic to turn left. The offside lane is for traffic turning right and going straight across. Invariably these are busy junctions and the traffic turning right is held up by cars coming across towards them. This means, of course, that cars behind the right turners cannot go across into what is a clear road.
Why not have the 'left turners' and the 'straight acrossers' in the nearside lane ?
Traffic then flows...simple !

Ted
Junction layouts - gordonbennet
Ted you are forever doomed to hard work in the private sector unless you can get out of this outdated approach to traffic control.

The idea of junctions as you describe is to slow the movement of all traffic in the interests of safety and the environment.

Could you imagine the pollution caused by all those cars trundling along in top gear, absolutely dreadful.

Keep those cars in a nice orderly queue for several light changes, hopefully causing considerable congestion further back down the road at various other junctions...which we shall in due course make no right turns of in order to ease congestion caused by too many people using their cars when they should be on the bus...which is stuck at the first set of lights 3 miles down the road behind 4 cars waiting to turn right.

Yes i'm in a belligerent mood for some reason, i obviously agree with you 100%, i see lots of those junction designs in my travels and i can't for the life of me work out any benefits other than my first idiotic thoughts.
Junction layouts - bell boy
welcome to the future now
ive got to go to manchester next week in a combustion engine
not looking forward to it
Junction layouts - 1400ted
Don't forget to wipe your feet at the border post, BB

Ted
Junction layouts - NorfolkDriver
Don't forget to wipe your feet at the border post BB
Ted

On the way in or out? :)
Junction layouts - grumpyscot
ive got to go to manchester next week in a combustion engine
not looking forward to it

How are you getting back, since your car will probalby be nicked while you're there !!!!
Junction layouts - L'escargot
There seems to be a trend with some of our local councils to inflict a
quite illogical lane layout at some light controlled crossroads.

It also seems illogical to me to force opposing traffic, when both are turning right, to turn nearside to nearside. It means that at some point neither driver can see what traffic is travelling straight on. I was taught to turn offside to offside, and I'm convinced that that is the safest way.
Junction layouts - boxsterboy
Au contraire, escargot. I know turning off-side to off-side is the traditional way of dealing with this operation, but with more than 3/4 cars it makes for gridlock. Turning near-side to near-side just requires one to pokes ones nose out a little to check the coast is clear before breaking for freedom.
Junction layouts - the swiss tony
A far far better idea is to have a right turn filter light.
this seems to be going out of fashion, and I cannot understand why.
ok... it does hold up traffic going straight on, but clears the backlog quicker, thus preventing queuing further back.
it also helps to prevent RTC's which really cause gridlock, as well as costing loads in money, and pain.
IMO nearside to nearside is only safe at light control junctions.