Forty years ago today..... - Waino
Yes, I know it was the day that Apollo 11 was launched for the moon but, even more significant, it was the day I passed my bike test (or, 'motorbike', as we called them in those days).

I passed (first-time) on my Ambassador Popular with a Villiers 9E 3-speed 2-stroke engine - you don't see many of those around now! The test centre was on the Narborough Road, Leicester and it was a hot sunny day. The examiner was wearing a white shirt with his sleeves rolled up - the same as every other bloke on the Narborough Road that day and he quickly vanished in the crowd. At one point, I took a wrong turning and lost him. Fortunately, we met again and he thought me sincere enough to give me a 'pass'.
Forty years ago today..... - Pica
Congratulations on your anniversary. I hope I am as lucky to pass first time.

I have spent the day practising my theory which on the whole is OK. I need to brush up on some traffic signs. And (in my opinion :) some of the questions are misleading such as how long is a driving licence valid 3 years, 10 years or until you are 70? - Mine is paper and is valid until I am 70 but the wife's is valid for 10 years - Correct answer is until 70 but very easy to get wrong.

The Hazard perception is interesting as I spot most of the hazards but I think I am spotting them too early for the DVD to register them. It's just playing a computer game I suppose.
Forty years ago today..... - Waino
Good luck with the test, Pica! It's a whole lot more difficult and involved than when I took mine - but then, it has to be. When I returned to motorcycling after a break of some 20 years between 1976 and 1996, I was amazed at the increased speed and density of traffic on the roads. The gradual change in the traffic conditions hadn't been so noticeable when cocooned in a car. The biggest thing that I noticed was the massive jump in concentration required on 2 wheels. I found it very tiring though, I suppose that if you do enough motorcycling, then you could get used to it again.

I have no doubt that motorcyclists, in general, make better car drivers because they are more aware of road surface conditions and have developed better powers of anticipation.