94 1.4D Overheating problems. - hwgminx
Seem to be having overheating probs with my 106 diesel, getting a dribble of very hot water from the overflow beside the pressure cap after a long run. Have changed the cap to no avail and now wonder if perhaps the fan is coming on or indeed if the thermostat is working. Any ideas anyone?
94 1.4D Overheating problems. - andrewuwe
Do you know that it's overheating or just suspect that it might be?

If your head gasket has gone it might pressurize the water and blow it past the cap. Does yours have the temp gauge or the clock?
Im fairly sure its not actually overheating as such, but after a 10 mile trip back from work if i nip out and lift the bonnet its clearly visible that the temperatures a bit higher than it should be causing the dribbles of water out past the overflow on the neck of the tank.. Mine just has a warning light, no guage, a key largo model. Theres no bubbling or oil in the water and to the touch the top and bottom hoses arn't hard with the pressure.
94 1.4D Overheating problems. - Peter.N.
Do you find pressure in the system if you remove the filler cap after its been standing for some time? If yes, probably the head gasket, if you dont and you say the hoses are not hard, I would think it must be your filler cap leaking.
94 1.4D Overheating problems. - andrewuwe
I think the cylinders are the wet type and so if the head goes at the piston you don't really get water in the oil so you can't tell sometimes.
I don't expect you have a diesel engine pressure test so I won't suggest that.

Try running the engine with the radiator cap off. From cold, the level of the water will slowly rise as air enters the water from the pistons. Then maybe suddenly a big bubble will pop out. If the break is more serious then if you rev the engine (using the fuel pump lever) you might see a bit of foaming. As the temp rises the thermostat will open and the air in the engine might flow round and the level in the rad will appear to drop.
You might then notice that the cabin air heater suddenly starts putting out heat a bit better.
If none of this happens then your head gasket could be OK.

Air lock in engine: try bleeding the cooling system, although I think most engines will self bleed if you are driving the car normally.

Since you don't have a temp gauge the first thing you are going to know is when you have cooked the engine and the head warps. So be careful eh?
Thanks i shall try this later although i am a bit suspicious about the condition of the seal on the cap itself, it does seem to be a bit soft. A mate has a similar 106d so might try to swap the caps for a day just to eliminate that. Will check the pressure in the tank after my run home..very carefully of course!
94 1.4D Overheating problems. - BigR
just to be sure, you are confident you haven't just over filled it?
as i had this many moons back, had a leaking rad cap, and just kept topping up as needed, then got round to replacing the cap, but i filled up to full upon new cap and had leaks for weeks, simply due to it being too full. just a thought