03 1.8 what should the compression be? - eddie lane
i have done a compression test and it was 230 for each cylinder. The car has done 158,000 miles but i do not know if another engine has been fitted. Do you think it is too high or is it ok? The engine runs ok. Any help please

{some punctuation added to make for easier reading}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/07/2009 at 00:40

03 1.8 what should the compression be? - Number_Cruncher
Petrol or diesel?
petrol
03 1.8 what should the compression be? - Number_Cruncher
Then the figures are rather healthy, and not a reason for concern - assuming you mean 230 psi, and not some other measure of pressure?

What led you to consider doing a compression test?

i bought the car of a mate it has done 158,000 he used it as a cab for 3 years and it was burning a bit oil and a bit smokey so i flushed it changed filter and put a thicker oil in 10w40 instead of 5w30 the smoke is a lot better i was thinking it mite be oil ringgs so i done a compression test 2 se what it was but as you said the compression seems ok mite be valve stem oil seals it sound fine on tickover i am not sure if the engine has been changed thanks eddie
03 1.8 what should the compression be? - ifithelps
...as a cab for 3 years...

Cabs don't do as high a milege as some people think, but it does tend to be nearly all in traffic.

As well as what's been done already, I'd have thought this car was a good candidate for several fill-ups with high detergent fuel, and some motorway or dual carriageway miles.
03 1.8 what should the compression be? - zookeeper
who would you reccomend for a high detergent fuel ifithelps? im doing east mids to cornwall round trip soon and was thinking of giving the old banger an engine clear out... cheers
03 1.8 what should the compression be? - ifithelps
Shell V-Power and BP Super unleaded got a good write-up in this recent thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=76...4.

03 1.8 what should the compression be? - TurboD
move from 5/30 at your peril, I would stick to the Ford advice. The heads needs the correct oli. You may be lucky though.