05 1.2 Lights & MIL question - Javalin
Hiya

A quick one.

Parents have been told by local VW that:
1) They need a new nearside light cluster to fix a indicator problem (£150!)
2) The MIL keeps comming on for a few weeks and then going off. They're not sure but think the garage say O2 Sensor - and (£160 again!). (I've asked them to get the codes from the garage)

so;

1) Is this likely? VW say the've checked bulb & wiring. I wouldn't think there was anything to go wrong in the cluster?

2) MIL - would it go off after a few weeks? Perhaps the sensor is clearing? Or they have a intermittent air leak or something maybe?

Comments welcome, ta!

James
05 1.2 Lights & MIL question - Dave_TD
From the thread title I assumed this question was about your mother in law...
no, no - technical question ;-)

(don't have one of those yet - MIL that is!)

J
05 1.2 Lights & MIL question - bell boy
i will just throw these ideas at you javelin
1--the light sounds a lazy option to change to me rather than finding a proper solution
2-i assume this is the 3 pot engine,known of one or two now where the timing chain misses a cog,also vw cars are renowned for flashing the lambda no 2 and yes in the short term the mil will go out,however it will come back on and the only proper solution i know of is an oe cat fitted,maybe a co check can confirm that the cat is just not within mot limits?

not a fan of these cars and if you are interested there is a good diagnostic piece on them in july"s edition of car mechanics
Hiya BB

(1) agree
(2) dunno exact specification. Thanks for idea's - i'll see what they get back from the garage in terms of codes...

>not a fan of these cars and if you are interested there is a good diagnostic piece on them in july"s edition of car mechanics
ta - good info.

James