Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - darrenmc
Hi all and thanks for looking I currently have an Audi A3 sport 2.0 fsi and I am looking for something a little bit faster but I am not sure which to choose. I am thinking of any of the following;

Subaru Impreza 2.0 wrx awd turbo

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

Vauxhall Astra VXR

Renault Cleo 197 Cup or Sport New Shape

I need it to be reasonable in servicing costs, filling it up soso, carry three people and a dog and safe in an acident. Looking to pay between 8 and 12k.

Thanx all
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - El Hacko
S3 - fast, safe car and got Audi quattro system
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - a900ss
I'd discount the Clio and Corsa due to size but have you considered a Focus ST? Really grunty 2.5 litre 5 pot engine and really cheap at the moment. Depends on your annual mileage though as they average about 25MPG. If you are an average 10,000 mile pa driver, that isn't that much more than a 30MPG car would cost to run.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - maz64
The bloke who bought our Seat Leon TFSI (200bhp) off us was replacing his S3; he had also had a test drive in an ST.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - maz64
The bloke who bought our Seat Leon TFSI (200bhp) off us was replacing his S3;
he had also had a test drive in an ST.

I should add that I wasn't totally convinced by the Leon; the VAG engine was fantastic and gave it effortless performance, but somehow it didn't all quite seem to gel for me. My wife, who is an 'enthusiastic' driver, loved it though so worth having a go in one.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - oldtoffee
The Corsa and Clio are going to be a bit small but fun! I think the Impreza would cost a little bit more to fuel and service but they are regarded by many as bulletproof and there are lots of independents charging at much lower than dealers. Impreza will go round the twisty bits better than the Astra especially in the wet. Astra's interior is a nicer place to be. Horses for courses etc.

Skoda Octavia VRS with the 2.0TFSI engine would make it on to my list. Space and pace! 30mpg, fast, reliable, cheap to service, relatively cheap to insure (versus Impreza, VXR etc), huge boot.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - spikeyhead {p}
You'll be lucky to get more than 20mpg from a scooby. Fun cars to drive on twisty roads though, and very competent everywhere else.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - nick
You'll be lucky to get more than 20mpg from a scooby.

Only if you drive hard all the time. I get a regular 24mpg out of my RB320 and use the power frequently.
never thought about an s3 would love a quatro. Just would like sumit fun I like the ST but they look like normal ford focus and a focus is sumit my dad would drive! Are Subaru's expensive to run? on average I do about 10 to 12K a year.. but at moment a bit less. What are the quatros like to drive the place I got mine last serviced had a 2.0l diesal a3 quatro I think it was 160hp? Anyone have one of these? Thanx all so far.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - Lygonos
Forester XT.

Same running gear as current Impreza WRX, 230hp (260 with PPP), 26mpg real world motoring, lower IG than Impreza, under 6 sec to 60, plenty room for Fido.

Bought brand new for £14k ish last year - may still be a couple left in Subaru's stock for similar money.

Wheeeeeeee!

tinyurl.com/sfxt25

If you want a flash looking motor buy some German noncery.

Edited by Lygonos on 10/07/2009 at 22:13

Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - nick
I have a 53 plate XT auto and love it. The boost is addictive even when tamed somewhat by the auto box. I'm getting 25-26mpg routinely. I'd love a 2.5 with PPP, the 0-60 is around 5.5 secs. A second quicker than a Civic Type R!
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - Andy P
It's a shame the 335d doesn't fit into your price bracket - 286bhp, 0-60 in 5.9 and 37mpg average.
what is the 355d? is that a bmw? I am willing to look at alternatives Been looking at the honda civic type r gt in red today but not test drove it though looks nice..
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - boxsterboy
If a BMW 335d is out of the budget, how about a 330d? Almost as quick and loads more about.

Edited by boxsterboy on 11/07/2009 at 17:06

Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - Andy P
12k would get you a 330d with around 50k on the clock. 242bhp, 0-60 in 6.1, 50mpg combined.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - LikedDrivingOnce
The 330d is a good shout, but there are a couple of considerations.
YES - it is fast & frugal, quite practical, and handles brilliantly.
BUT - it looks like a dowdy saloon (but maybe you want a "Q" Car), and the BMW image is good/bad depending upon you viewpoint.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - oldtoffee
>>BUT - it looks like a dowdy saloon (but maybe you want a "Q" Car), and the BMW image is good/bad depending upon you viewpoint.

Sell that one to the dog bouncing around in the "saloon's" boot - OP needs a big hatch or competent estate.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - LikedDrivingOnce
BMW do a 3 series "Touring" version. Not so much an estate, more a large hatchback.

Not a very good load carrier, but you WILL get a dog in safely and easily.
Help Please What To Buy - Something fast - Lygonos
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=76...4

There ya go ;-)