06 1.6 too much air pressure in engine - yenski
Hi one and all,

I have a vauxhall astra 1.6 life. My car recently started whistling and i tool it to the mechanics. Now my mechanic says that he couldnt take the oil cap off because there was too much pressure in the engine. Now when he eventually can take off the cap the car runs fine, even when he takes off another air pipe again and replaces the oil cap again the car runs fine. But when everything is back in its place air pressure seems to build up inside and it starts whistling (like a old style kettle boiling).

Any help or advice on this matter would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
06 1.6 too much air pressure in engine - cphardcastle
Check your crank case breather pipes. Sounds like they might be blocked.
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply, before i suggest this to the mechanic, dont you think this is too early for a car of this age for the pipes to be blocked?
06 1.6 too much air pressure in engine - cphardcastle
Yeah I was kinda thinking that myself.

If your guy has removed a breather pipe and the symptoms go away then it would suggest a breather pipe blockage.

The only other thing I can think of right now is that maybe there's a combustion chamber leaking back into the block or head.
06 1.6 too much air pressure in engine - elekie&a/c doctor
This is a known issue on this model.you will need a new cam box cover that incorporates a modified breather system.hth
hello there,

hope you dont mind me asking but what is a new cam box cover? im assuming its the plastic that sits over the cam belts? if so is this available from any Vauxhall dealer?
06 1.6 too much air pressure in engine - elekie&a/c doctor
Most definitely.They probably keep them in stock.hth
06 1.6 too much air pressure in engine - Peter D
No, it is not the cover for the cam belt. It is the cover for the cam shaft into which the oil filler cap is located. Check with your local dealer if this can be changed free of charge. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 09/07/2009 at 16:32

Right sorry guys seems i got the wrong information!! Ok its not that there is air wanting to get out but infact the other way round. IF you was to put your hand flat on top of where the oil is poured into the engine, it will suck it in. If you was to do this where the dipstick is same problem. Although if you leave the cap or the dipstick off then the engine runs fine.

I think i might repost as i think this may change peoples ideas.
06 1.6 too much air pressure in engine - topbloke
it needs a new rocker cover (modified) for this problem to be fixed it is a known issue hence the release of a "modified rocker cover", Regards TB