TrafficMaster - drbe
I have a TrafficMaster Freeway. This is a device about the size of a GPS which sits on the dashboard, its detects traffic movement on motorways and A roads for up to ten miles ahead and warns of slow moving traffic or traffic jams.

The warning is is the form of an estimated delay time.

I find it extremely useful - at least I did until a few days ago, when it stopped working.

TrafficMaster tell me the device is obsolete and they have no repair facilities.

Does anyone know where I might get it repaired?
TrafficMaster - Steve Pearce
I've got one that I no longer use, needs a new subscription though. Yours for the price of the postage. PM me.
TrafficMaster - drbe
Result!

Thanks Steve.
TrafficMaster - geoffken
sorry to hijack thread but does anybody know how often they refresh data for any specific road.
I drive M1 4 times a week from Newcastle to Leicester and recently I have been on mway 3 times when Google data(provided by trafficmaster) shows 12 miles stationary traffic and I have sailed through at 50 through roadwork area round junc 28 to 24.
I am beginning to not trust it.
Also when I had voice aided in VW Caravelle it would come up with "12 miles of stationary traffic avoid" then 5 minutes later would be clear.
NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE

Any advice
TrafficMaster - Bromptonaut
My impression is that the data is updated dynamically rather than on a time basis. AFAIK it relies on sensors which work in a similar way to SPECS cameras logging the VRN's of a sample of vehicles as they pass suuccessive roadsise stations and checking the actual speeds measured against a baseline for that road/time of day. The technology and infrastructure are 15 years old and realistically approaching the end of their useful lives. It does not, for example, cover the M6 toll but will assume you are on the nearby A5 or M42

Sometimes the algorithm gets itself in a knot and other times it seems to be mislead by a particular "bunch" of traffic for example around a wide load or a convoy of slow HGV's.

It's still woth having though as a piece of traffic intelligence to use alongside radio reports and good old fashioed observation and experience.

TrafficMaster - Martin Devon
It's still woth having though as a piece of traffic intelligence to use alongside radio
reports and good old fashioed observation and experience.

It sounds to me like a pile of Doo Doo. Pretty similar to the traffickmaster add on to my Garmin Nuvi 760.

Surely in this day and age when we are all capable of being watched by the grey men 'they' could get this right.

MD
TrafficMaster - JH
Martin
na, they're too busy warching the screen that's got the girl sunbathing on camera! :-)
JH
TrafficMaster - geoffken
Thanks for this.
I understood the priciple of numberplate recognition by the blue box camera look alikes but my concern is with the updating accuracy/speed of same.
I have driven on opposite cway to an alleged 12 mile queue and not seen any queue whatsoever.
Have tried to find tel no for contact with Trafficmaster but no luck.
TrafficMaster - drbe
True to his word, Steve sent me his TrafficMaster and won't take any money for it!

Another result for the Back Room.

I have emailed Steve expressing my thanks and offering to make a donation to a charity of his choice.
TrafficMaster - rtj70
Well done the backroom again ;-)
TrafficMaster - Sparrow
Can you still get a new license for it? I remember last time I got one for mine it was about £30, and lasted a year. Since it ran out well over a year ago my trafficmaster has been lying in the glovebox. Maybe I'll dig it out and ressurrect it if licenses can still be got. It was a good machine - had one built in when I had a Vectra. When that went back at the end of its lease I missed it and bought the freeway as a separate box. I powered it from a lighter socket instead of batteries and it worked great.

TrafficMaster - Steve Pearce
I have emailed Steve expressing my thanks and offering to make a donation to a
charity of his choice.

No problem, it was just gathering dust in the garage. I don't have access to my work e-mail at the moment (on holiday in Centerparcs which does now have free wifi) and was wondering if it had turned up.
TrafficMaster Freeway - Avant
It's a great pity that they don't make these any more: you are expected to get this information via a satnav nowadays. Fine - but I'm often going somewhere I know and don't need to take the TomTom with me.

My Freeway still works fine, and picks up signals admirably from the useful little compartment on my right on the lower edge of the dashboard that Golfs and Octavias both have.

Are there any similar products on the market in the event of mine going the same way as Drbe's?
TrafficMaster - DSLRed
Just to add my two pence worth, I have a Trafficmaster system that came built into my C5 (don't know model) and each year wonder whether it is worth the 30 odd quid to renew, as it seems to get it wrong quite a lot and I don't really trust it.

I figure that, if it tells me of a long queue and I still am tempted to take the road because I don't want to take a massive detour on the basis of advice that I don't trust to be accurate, then whats the point.

Also, It really grates when it DOES tell me of a massive queue.......just as I've joined the back of it!! :(

But every year, I still renew - 'cos you never know when it will come in handy!. Don't know if that says more about me than it does about the unit!.
TrafficMaster - Hamsafar
"Traffic information is collected via Trafficmaster?s unique network of 7500 fixed sensors mounted on the UK Motorway and Trunk Road network. These sensors measure traffic flow in real time, ensuring that the traffic information generated is of exceptional quality and accuracy. The sensor based traffic data is also supplemented with incidental data collected in partnership with the RAC, one of the UK?s leading motoring organisations."
- www.tmcforum.com/en/about_tmc/tmc_services_today/u...m
TrafficMaster - redviper
I always wonder why TrafficMaster didnt go into the SATNAV business, with it been such a viable market what with it being a "latest gadget".
Im sure more people would rather have a SATNAV than a traffic master system.
Surley with the background they have got, they might have been able to produce a market product.
TrafficMaster - rtj70
I do offer navigation as a service. You don't necessarily get any map on a screen because the processing is all done on their systems and directions are sent to you.

www.trafficmaster.co.uk/our_solutions/smartnav-new...p

Edited by rtj70 on 14/07/2009 at 16:29

TrafficMaster - nick
Some satnavs have TMC built in and are supposed to route you around the congestion. My Kenwood has it but it hasn't done it yet so I can't report on its efficacy.
TrafficMaster - smokie
Yep, I just ditched Smartnav after 7 years of reliable use -0 new car has built in navigation. I had the older version where you called a call centre before your trip and the route was downloaded, and as RJT says, you got voice instructions only (no screen). It dynamically routed you round traffic. I believe the current version has a small screen with very limited info.

I got it before TomTom was out and about. Smartnav had a monthly subscription (around £10 IIRC), and although their call centre coffered services over and above giving you a route, this now looks expensive against current devices.
TrafficMaster - redviper
I know that Vectra B's came with Traffic Master the one that i was familer with just kind of beeped (IIRC) this was on a S Plate Vectra.

IIRC Didnt some of the Top of the range Vec B's come with a system similer (or even the same one) as smokie had mentioned above?
it was kind of a basic sat nav, but probably way ahead of its time (at least what was avaialable to the public)