1998 1.9TDi - Limp Mode - Bazeybee1
Hi

Have read quite a few isuues on engines going into limp mode but not seen one for my car.
I have one of the first MK IV Golf TDI's with the 90PS engine, just started going into what I would think is limp mode when you reach around 3000 rpm. Have checked all the vacuum hoses to the the turbo boost solenoid valve and they are all ok, replaced one as it was slightly worn. Took the solenoid of and and put a separate supply to it and it switched between ports so I assume its working ok. The only odd thing was when i put it back on and checked the voltage to it I had 14v on one side and nearly 7v on the other, surely there should on be supply on one side.
Have run out of ideas so need someone who knows these engines.
Thanks

{moved to Technical Matters}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/07/2009 at 22:30

Limp Mode - Galad
Mightn't be relevant but a friend's Golf TDI went into limp mode and dealer diagnosed a faulty accelerator pedal; £130 to supply and fit a replacement.
Limp Mode - astrabob
You can't guess. If it goes into limp mode, a fault code should be stored, and the engine mangement light should come on (although it might go off later on).

Get the fault code read by a garage, and this should point them in the direction of the fault. Even with the fault code, it might need some experience to pinpoint the fault.
1998 1.9 TDi - Turbo Boost Problems - Bazeybee1
Hi
Have a 1998 1.9 Golf TDI (90) and it .looks like I have the Limp Mode syndrome. I am confused as there are 2 solenoid valves on the bulkhead that operate the vacuum system. In all the articles I have read it only ever talkes about the N75 valve?
Question is why 2 valves and what do each do. Have replaced the smaller pipes to eveywhere but still goes into limp mode when over 3000 revs but only in 4th and 5th.
The valve that goes to the turbo clicks repeatadly when running, the other one I dont know if working or not.
Help?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/07/2009 at 22:28